This asparagus goats cheese tart is baked with a low carb pastry for a hearty keto vegetarian dish for spring and summer. Enjoy an asparagus tart for lunch, brunch or even dinner.
Fresh asparagus pairs well with the creamy goats cheese and is very enjoyable in tart form. You could make this without the crust but the crust is half of the flavour and texture.
Making a low carb asparagus tart
First you need a low carb pastry to make this asparagus tart. I've used almond flour and coconut flour with a dash of xanthan gum to bind the dry ingredients.
Once baked blind, the asparagus is chargrilled. The asparagus needs to be as fresh as you can buy. The fresher, the better the flavour.
Only 3 eggs are used rather than a hearty quiche as the topping does not want to drown the delicious asparagus. I've added cream and vegetarian Parmesan too.
The asparagus can be lightly steamed instead of chargrilled.
If you want a circular tart you can use an 8 inch tin.
Swap the goats cheese with Feta for another flavour combination.
More low carb main recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Asparagus Goats Cheese Tart
- 12 spears asparagus trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 oz goats cheese
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 medium eggs
- ¼ cup cream heavy
- ½ cup parmesan vegetarian
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Make the Pastry
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F degrees
- Line a 8 inch square baking tin with parchment paper.
- Place the pastry ingredients in a food processor and pulse until a smooth dough is form.
- Remove the dough into a square, large enough to fit the baking tin and give the tart edges.
- Place the pastry into the square tin. If it breaks just smooth it together. You may find yourself piecing the dough together around the edges.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the pastry is golden and firm.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
Make the Filling
- Toss the asparagus in the olive oil.
- Heat a griddle pan until hot, then griddle the asparagus until chargrilled all over.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the cream.
- Beat in the Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Placethe asparagus in the pastry crust and scatter the garlic over the stalks.
- Crumble the goats cheese on top (or slice it).
- Pour the cream mixture on top of the asparagus
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 200C/400F degrees until firm and golden.