Keto avocado toast is given a twist with an avocado on low carb chaffle. It makes a delicious low carb and gluten-free start to the day and is quick and easy too.
If you are a lover of avocado toast, chaffles or avocado, then this keto diet recipe is sure to hit the spot. Avocado toast can be made low carb by using a slice of low carb bread but here a chaffle is used in place of bread.
An avocado on chaffle is a delicious and easy-to-make option for anyone looking for a healthy and satisfying meal or snack. You can add other toppings such as a fried egg, sliced tomatoes or sauteed mushrooms to this low-carb avocado toast recipe.
WHAT IS A CHAFFLE?
The low carb love affair with chaffle continues. They are an easy and quick alternative to bread. The basic ingredients for a chaffle are shredded mozzarella and egg. Add a couple of tablespoons of low carb flour such as almond or coconut flour and cook the mixture in a waffle maker. It really is just that simple.
WHAT WAFFLE MAKER TO USE?
A popular waffle maker for chaffles is the Dash waffle maker which makes a small circular chaffle but I use a basic Belgian Waffle maker which makes a rectangle shape. If you are not hung up on what shape your chaffle is, it doesn’t matter what waffle maker you use.
A popular chaffle maker is the Dash Mini Waffle maker which is cute if you want the circular chaffle shape. Whether you use a traditional waffle maker or a Dash maker does not really make any difference to this keto avocado toast recipe as it tastes the same!
This is an easy recipe with just a few ingredients to make the chaffle and the avocado topping.
- Mozzarella cheese - Cheddar cheese can also be used.
- Almond flour - Other low carb flours such as coconut flour, lupin flour or oat fiber could be used, but the volume would need to be adjusted.
- Avocado - Ensure that you select ripe avocados. It should yield to gently pressure and feel slightly soft.
HOW TO MAKE KETO AVOCADO TOAST
We use a chaffle for the bread replacement for this healthy version of avocado on toast but you could also use the quick microwave bread we use for our keto grilled cheese recipe.
Mix the chaffle ingredients together.
Spread the mixture onto a chaffle or waffle maker.
Mash the avocado with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Spread the avocado over the chaffle and serve.
MAKE THE AVOCADO CHAFFLE THE WAY YOU LIKE IT
This basic low-carb avocado on a chaffle recipe which you can adapt to make your own and you can have fun with the creativity. Below are a few ideas or your favorite toppings you may want to add. Either way it’s a great low carb breakfast or light meal.
- Crumbled Feta cheese
- Chopped olives
- A fried or poached egg
- Slices of cucumber with a sprinkling of sumac or paprika
- Marinated mushrooms
- Baby spinach and goat's cheese
- Sprinkle red pepper flakes on the mashed avocado.
- Sprinkle EveryThing Bagel Seasoning on top.
- A dash of hot sauce for a touch of heat.
KETO BREAD TO USE FOR TOAST
If you don't want a cheesy chaffle for your creamy avocado toast, these other keto bread recipes can be sliced, toasted and served with mashed or sliced avocado for a hearty keto recipe for breakfast:
OTHER CHAFFLE RECIPES TO TRY
This recipe was originally published in January 2020. We have updated the photographs and content but the recipe remains the same.
Avocado on Chaffle
- 1 medium egg
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 avocado ripe
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Lightly grease the waffle maker (I give it a light spray with olive oil) and turn it on to heat up.
- In a bowl add the mozzarella, egg and almond flour. Mix well.
- Spoon the batter into your waffle maker. If you are using a small waffle maker spoon half the mixture in at a time. Gently spread it out towards the edges.
- Close the lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Whilst the chaffle is cooking make the avocado topping. You can serve the avocado either sliced or mashed.
- If you are serving mashed: Remove the pit from the avocado, scoop out the flesh and place in a bowl. Mash with a fork and mix it the lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- If you are serving sliced: Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit from the avocado. Carefully scoop out the avocado halves with a large spoon and place on a cutting board. Slice the avocado and sprinkle with the lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Using tongs, remove the cooked chaffle and place on serving plate.
- Spread the avocado mash on top of the chaffle or place the avocado slices in a fan shape and eat immediately.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Leave a Reply