Enjoy a low carb cauliflower halloumi salad made with roasted cauliflower and halloumi cheese. Add a citrus, caper and basil dressing to make a hearty and tasty salad.
This cauliflower halloumi salad is a great low carb and gluten free dish for spring and summer with the zesty flavours of the lemon dressing. The basil brings a distinctive flavour but the capers are the ingredient that lifts this to a salty, sharp savoury dish.
I just love capers in salad dressings and have another warm cauliflower salad and lemon salad dish which is also easy to make. Capers enliven any dish or sauce with a sharp piquant taste. I
This cauliflower halloumi salad recipe came about as the fridge was getting low before the weekly shop and I was looking at a cauliflower and a packet of halloumi cheese. At first I toyed with cooking them in different dishes, then thought about combining them. The idea of a cauliflower halloumi burger was my first thought but I need to think about that one a little bit more as the seasoning might be important. So, when in doubt, roast the cauliflower and add the rest of the ingredients!
Low Carb Salad
Sumac was added to give the dish a little extra zest flavour. Although it's not essential as not every supermarket stocks this. If you do have it, sprinkle some on your salads to give it a slight lift. Try some sumac on your eggs in the morning too!
Cauliflower Halloumi Salad
- 1 medium cauliflower cut into florets
- 250 g Halloumi cheese cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 Lemon - juice only
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove peeled & chopped
- 4 tablespoons Fresh basil chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Place the cauliflower on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Roast for 20-30 minutes until golden, turning over half way through.
- Heat the tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan. Fry the halloumi on a medium heat, turning over when golden, until all sides are cooked.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk.
- Place the roasted cauliflower and halloumi in a bowl. Pour the dressing over and mix well.
- Serve warm or cold.