Our cottage cheese smoothie is not your ordinary drink. Packed with creamy goodness, it's a protein-rich delight designed to keep you satisfied and energized. Whether you're starting your day with a nutritious breakfast or enjoying a post-workout refresher, this smoothie has you covered.
This protein rich drink makes a great low carb vegetarian breakfast and will keep you going for hours. The cottage cheese is blended to remove lumps and the result is a creamy delicious smoothie.
A cottage cheese smoothie with hemp hearts can be a nutritious and delicious snack or meal option.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Is Cottage Cheese Keto?
Cottage cheese contains carbohydrates, primarily in the form of lactose, a natural sugar found in dairy products. The exact carb content varies depending on the brand and type of cottage cheese. However, many varieties of cottage cheese are relatively low in carbs. A typical serving of ½ cup (approximately 113 grams) of full-fat cottage cheese contains around 3-4 grams of carbohydrates, with minor variations between brands.
Cottage cheese is an excellent source of protein, which is a key component of the ketogenic diet. It can help you feel full and satisfied while supporting muscle maintenance and growth.
Just a few ingredients make this creamy smoothie.
- Cottage cheese - plain, unflavored and full fat.
- Greek yogurt - full fat and plain.
- Protein Powder - we used vanilla flavored protein powder.
- Frozen strawberries - any frozen berries can be use.
- Hemp hearts - added for the extra protein and other health benefits for a vegetarian. Could be omitted or substituted with ground flaxseeds.
What are hemp hearts?
Hemp hearts, also known as hemp seeds, are an excellent addition to a vegetarian diet. They offer a wide range of nutritional benefits and can be a versatile ingredient in vegetarian recipes.
Hemp hearts are a complete protein source, meaning they contain all essential amino acids. This makes them an excellent protein option for vegetarians who may need to combine various plant-based protein sources to ensure they get all the essential amino acids in their diet.
Hemp hearts are packed with vitamins and minerals, including iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and vitamin E, making them a nutritious addition to a vegetarian diet.
How to make a cottage cheese smoothie
As with any smoothie, it's just as simple as blend and serve.
Place all ingredients in a blender and blitz.
Serve and enjoy
Keto cottage cheese smoothies are a fantastic way to enjoy a creamy, low-carb treat that's packed with protein and healthy fats. Here are some delicious keto-friendly variations to try:
- Berry Blast Keto Smoothie:
- Ingredients: Cottage cheese, unsweetened almond milk, frozen mixed berries (e.g., strawberries, blueberries, raspberries), keto-friendly sweetener (e.g., stevia or erythritol), vanilla extract.
- Instructions: Blend the cottage cheese, almond milk, mixed berries, sweetener, and vanilla extract until smooth. Adjust sweetness to taste.
- Chocolate Avocado Delight:
- Ingredients: Cottage cheese, unsweetened almond milk, unsweetened cocoa powder, ripe avocado, keto-friendly sweetener, a pinch of salt.
- Instructions: Blend cottage cheese, almond milk, cocoa powder, avocado, sweetener, and a pinch of salt until creamy. Adjust sweetness as desired.
- Vanilla Cinnamon Spice:
- Ingredients: Cottage cheese, unsweetened almond milk, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, keto-friendly sweetener.
- Instructions: Blend cottage cheese, almond milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and sweetener until smooth. Sprinkle extra cinnamon on top if desired.
- Peanut Butter Powerhouse:
- Ingredients: Cottage cheese, unsweetened almond milk, natural peanut butter (sugar-free), keto-friendly sweetener, a pinch of salt.
- Instructions: Blend cottage cheese, almond milk, peanut butter, sweetener, and a pinch of salt until well combined.
- Green Keto Cottage Cheese Smoothie:
- Ingredients: Cottage cheese, unsweetened almond milk, spinach or kale, avocado, keto-friendly sweetener (optional), and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Instructions: Blend cottage cheese, almond milk, leafy greens, avocado, and lemon juice until you have a vibrant green, creamy smoothie. Add sweetener if desired.
- Coffee and Cream Smoothie:
- Ingredients: Cottage cheese, brewed and chilled coffee (unsweetened), heavy cream, keto-friendly sweetener (optional), and a few ice cubes.
- Instructions: Blend cottage cheese, chilled coffee, heavy cream, sweetener, and ice cubes for a refreshing coffee-flavored smoothie.
- Mint Chocolate Chip Bliss:
- Ingredients: Cottage cheese, unsweetened almond milk, unsweetened cocoa powder, peppermint extract, keto-friendly sweetener, sugar-free dark chocolate chips (optional).
- Instructions: Blend cottage cheese, almond milk, cocoa powder, peppermint extract, sweetener, and a handful of sugar-free chocolate chips for a minty chocolate delight.
Remember to adjust the sweetness to your liking, as different sweeteners may have varying levels of sweetness. These keto cottage cheese smoothie variations offer a wide range of flavors while staying low in carbohydrates, making them perfect for those following a ketogenic diet or anyone looking for a healthy and satisfying low-carb snack or meal.
Cottage Cheese Smoothie
- ¾ cup cottage cheese
- ¼ cup vanilla protein powder
- 1 cup frozen strawberries or other berries
- ½ cup Greek yogurt plain, full fat
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
- Add all ingredients to a blender, with the frozen strawberries first.
- Blitz until smooth. If you want a thicker consistency, you can add some ice cubes and blend again until smooth.
- Once the mixture is smooth and creamy, pour it into a glass.
YOUR OWN NOTES