If you love fajitas and you love halloumi, you'll love these vegetarian halloumi fajitas. They're made with spiced halloumi cheese and vegetables and served in a low carb tortilla.
This easy low carb vegetarian recipe uses halloumi as a vegetarian alternative to normal fajitas. Add low carb tortillas and serve with avocado, sour cream and any other sides you enjoy with fajitas.
WHAT IS HALLOUMI CHEESE?
If you have not yet come across halloumi cheese, it is a firm cheese from Cyprus which holds it's texture when cooked. It has a slight squeaky texture and salty taste and is a cheese that can be fried, grilled or braised without losing it's shape.
IS HALLOUMI VEGETARIAN?
Not all cheeses are vegetarian because some are made with animal rennet. Our complete guide to carbs in cheese also shows you what cheeses are vegetarian friendly. Happily, halloumi is vegetarian and not made with animal rennet.
Halloumi cheese makes a great keto vegetarian ingredient as the firm texture can be used as a meat replacement.
CARBS IN HALLOUMI
Halloumi is a low carb cheese with zero net carbs. Check the back of the package though as brands may vary.
This is a recipe for 4 servings of 2 fajitas each, so we used 2 packets of halloumi cheese. If you want to make this recipe for 2, half the cheese, reduce the peppers to one and use 4 low carb tortillas.
Seasonings for fajitas can vary and if you have your own preferred mix use it. We like to use smoked paprika at times for a deeper flavour. If you like your fajitas spicy, increase the chili powder.
LOW CARB TORTILLAS
For the low carb tortillas you could use store bought keto tortillas or make your own. Low carb tortillas can be made with flaxseed, almond flour or coconut flour. A few recipes you may want to try for these are:
- Flaxseed Tortillas
- Keto Almond Flour Tortilla
- Coconut Flour Flatbread (one of my favourite recipes)
- Easy Keto Flatbread
HOW TO MAKE KETO HALLOUMI FAJITAS
Fajitas are an easy recipe and this is no exception. It's quick and easy and if you prepare the vegetables and low carb tortilla wraps ahead, this can be cooked in under 30 minutes.
Halloumi is seasoned
Vegetables cooked in spices
Cook the spicy halloumi
Add the halloumi to the vegetables
We make these sizzling fajitas in a skillet but you could also make this recipe in the oven by placing all the vegetables and halloumi on a sheet pan. Cook for 20 minutes at 180C/350F degrees.
HOW TO SERVE HALLOUMI FAJITAS
As delicious as these vegetarian fajitas are, enjoy them with various sides. A few serving side suggestions are:
- Slice of lime to squeeze lime juice over the fajitas
- Sour cream
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
- Chopped cilantro
MORE HALLOUMI VEGETARIAN RECIPES
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
- 17 oz Halloumi cheese 2 packs 8.8oz (250g) each
- 1 medium red pepper cut into strips
- 1 medium yellow pepper cut into strips
- 1 medium zucchini cut into strips
- 1 medium red onion peeled and thinly slices
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 low carb tortillas either store bought or homemade
Mix the Fajita Seasoning
- In a small bowl, mix the fajita spice mix.
Marinade the Halloumi
- In another small bowl, add a tablespoon of the fajita spice mix with a tablespoon of the avocado oil into a paste.
- Cut the halloumi into strip about ½ inch thick, lengthways.
- Place the halloumi strips in a shallow dish and cover with the spice paste. Store in the refrigerator whilst you cook the vegetables.
Cook the Vegetables
- Heat the remaining avocado oil in a large skillet or frying pan on a medium heat. Add the sliced onions and cook for 8-10 minutes until soft.
- Add the red and yellow pepper slices and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the zucchini slices and the fajita spice mix. Stir the spices through the vegetables and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Remove the cooked vegetables from the skillet and keep warm.
- Add the halloumi strips to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes, turning over to ensure that they are evenly cooked.
- Add the halloumi to the cooked vegetables.
- Spoon the vegetables and halloumi mixture on a low carb tortilla. Top with avocado, sour cream or other toppings you enjoy with fajitas. Serve with lime wedges.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Leave a Reply