This cabbage gratin is made with roasted cabbage slices, which are then baked in a keto vegan cheese for a hearty keto vegan side dish.
Cabbage gratin is normally baked in a creamy cheesy sauce but I wanted to try a keto vegan dish that could be served as a side at any meal. So I make a vegan cheese sauce sauce to use with the cabbage.
Vegan Cheese Sauce
Vegan cheese is mainly made with soaked cashews for the base but due to their slightly high carb content for a nut I have made a version without them. Tahini and hemp seeds take their place in this recipe.
Nutritional yeast is the base in most vegan cheese recipes but is not the only star of this sauce. Hemp seed hearts help make the texture and adds protein.
How to make keto vegan cabbage gratin
This cabbage dish is simple and delicious. Roast, slather with sauce and bake!
What to serve with Cabbage Gratin
This keto vegan dish is great with a nut roast or cauliflower steaks. Or just enjoy a couple of cabbage slices with a side salad for lunch.
Recipe Tips & Suggestions
If the sauce becomes a bit dry before serving the gratin, lightly spray the sauce with water and bring it back to life!
Feel free to bake this with a low carb cheesy sauce.
For the presentation of this dish, instead of laying out the cabbage slices in a square baking dish as I did, fan them in a circular baking dish.
More low carb cabbage recipes
Cabbage Gratin with Vegan Cheese
- ½ head white cabbage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons hemp seed hearts
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
Roast the Cabbage
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Cut the cabbage head into slices about an inch thick
- Place the slices on a parchment paper lined baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Roast for 30 minutes until golden and crispy at the ends.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
Make the Vegan Cheese Sauce
- Make the sauce whilst the cabbage slices are roasting.
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth
- Add all the ingredients in a medium saucepan and simmer on a medium heat.
- Stir the mixture constantly until the sauce begins to thicken for about 3-5 minutes.
- Once the sauce has thickened remove the pan from the heat and set it aside.
- Place the roasted cabbage slices in a baking dish.
- Pour the vegan cheese over the slices and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve immediately
YOUR OWN NOTES
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Leave a Reply