These jalapeno cheese muffins are baked with lupin flour and make a moist low carb muffin with a spicy taste. At only 2g net carbs a muffin they are great for breakfast or a bread roll substitute.
Jalapeno and Cheddar cheese are a great flavour combination, so why not enjoy them in a moist savoury muffin. They are enjoyable either warm from the oven or cold. Low in carbs and high in plant protein they are a great keto vegetarian recipe.
What is lupin flour?
Lupin flour is made from ground lupini beans and is a great keto flour. It has a slight bitter taste so is best used with other low carb flours to smooth out the flavour. With the lupini bean being a legume it’s not advisable for anyone with a peanut allergy.
Lupin flour is low in carbs, gluten free and high in protein. At 12g protein per ¼ cup (30g) and 1g net carb, it’s great for a keto vegetarian and vegan diet. It’s also high in antioxidants and is a complete protein, making it an excellent plant-based protein.
Nutritional value of lupin flour
A ¼ cup (30g) serving of lupin flour contains 74 calories, 2g fat, 12g protein, 12g carbs, 11g fibre, 1g net carbs.
How to make jalapeno cheese muffins
This moist jalapeno cheese muffin is simple to make and uses two bowls. The dry ingredients are mixed in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another. Mixed together then spooned in muffin cases. It's a simple and easy recipe that you could adapt.
If you want an extra spicier muffin add more jalapeno peppers. I like slices of jalapenos to top the muffins for decoration and flavour too. Serve with a bowl of chayote soup for a hearty lunch.
Sifting the flour and baking powder is optional but will give a lighter muffin. I find that my coconut flour and baking powder can get a bit clumpy after a while.
Brands of coconut and lupin flour can vary so you may need to add additional liquid for a smooth muffin mixture.
If you enjoy your cheese, sprinkle additional grated Cheddar cheese or vegetarian Parmesan on the top of the muffins after placing the jalapeno slices.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Jalapeno Cheese Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees and line a muffin tin with 8 liners.
- Remove the seeds from the jalapenos and slice one of the jalapenos into 8 slices. The remaining jalapenos are to be chopped to be used in the muffin mixture.
- In a medium bowl, add the coconut flour, lupin flour, baking powder, salt and black pepper.
- Beat the eggs, sour cream and melted butter until combined.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir thoroughly.
- Add the chopped jalapenos, cheddar cheese and water and stir until you have a smooth mixture. If the muffin mixture looks too stiff, add additional water or a splash of almond milk.
- Spoon the muffin mixture into the muffin tin.
- Place a jalapeno slice on top of each muffin and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and firm.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the tin.
YOUR OWN NOTES