Lupini beans are used to make this keto refried beans recipe. You can still enjoy your favourite Mexican side dish on a low carb diet! It’s quick and easy dish to make too.
Whether you serve these keto refried beans warm or cold, they are great as a side dish, a dip or use in a vegetarian chili or taco recipe.
Are refried beans keto?
Traditional refried beans are made with pinto beans which are not low in carbs. A single cup of refried beans are around 26g net carbs. For a vegetarian, beans are normally a great source of protein and amino acids but nor for the keto vegetarian or vegan. Not many beans are low carbs but the lupini bean is a rare exception to this rule. Lupini beans are a creamy bean similar to butter beans and make a great substitute for pinto beans.
How to make keto refried beans
This is a quick recipe that can be made ahead until you need to use the beans.
- Lupini beans - I used beans from a jar. The skins need to be removed first.
- Shallots – I prefer the slightly sweet taste that a shallot has but a regular white or red onion would do.
- Vegetable stock – if you are using store bought, check the label for added sugar.
- Spices – I like the mix of chipotle spice, cumin and oregano. Feel free to tweak and play with spices of your choosing.
- Lime juice – Add this after cooking the beans.
Recipe Tips & Suggestions
Black soy beans could be used in place of the lupini beans.
Make this dish keto vegan by replacing the butter with olive or avocado oil.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Keto Refried Beans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups lupini beans
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 1 ½ teaspoons chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Remove the skins from the lupini beans and wash them.
- Heat the butter in a medium pan and add the shallots and garlic. Cook for 3-5 minutes until soft.
- Add the lupini beans, vegetable stock and spices.
- Simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning for own taste (I like a strong chipotle flavour).
- Remove from the heat andcool for 5 minutes.
- Place the bean mixture in a food processor and add the lime juice, salt and pepper. Pulse until smooth, adding any additional vegetable stock if the mixture is too thick.
- Remove and enjoy as a side dish or part of a recipe.