A keto savoury muffin made with spinach and feta muffins. Made with coconut flour they are just 3g net carbs each. These keto muffins are a delicious savoury bite for breakfast on the go or just a savoury snack.
Spinach and feta are a great flavour combination and are the basis of the Greek dish Spanakopita. This muffin is a moist, yet firm alternative that make you almost forget about pastry!
Grated zucchini was added to the spinach and feta muffin mixture to keep it moist and firm especially because I was using coconut flour. As I stirred the final ingredients together I looked at the batter and knew it needed a little something else. Luckily, I had a sole zucchini in the bottom of the vegetable drawer. A quick grate and a stir into the mixture and I had the consistency that I wanted.
As the spinach and feta muffins baked they rose splendidly and smelt delicious. Once out of the oven it seemed rude not to try a warm one. I was very happy with the flavour combinations. When they cooled down I munched another and the flavours are better. Bake a batch, try one warm, try another cold and see what you prefer! They could be warmed up in the oven or even zapped in the microwave.
- 1/2 cup 90g Cooked spinach
- 1/3 cup 38g Coconut flour
- 4 Eggs
- 1/4 cup 56g Butter unsalted Melted
- 4 Spring onions chopped
- 1/2 cup 75g Feta cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup 25g Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 Zucchini grated
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Combine the eggs, butter, water and salt with a hand blender or a whisk
- Add the coconut flour and baking soda and mix well.
- Add in the spring onions, zucchini, spinach, parsley and nutmeg. Mix thoroughly
- Add in the Feta and Parmesan cheese and stir. Season with salt and pepper.
- If the mixture is a bit too stiff add additional water (about another ¼ cup).
- Spoon the mixture into muffin cup or a greased muffin tin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden on top and firm.