This keto vegan cauliflower risotto has the summer flavours of lemon and basil for a refreshing meal. Enjoy it as a gluten free side or main dish.
This cauliflower risotto recipe uses nutritional yeast in place of Parmesan cheese. I have also omitted the traditional cream in a risotto recipe to keep this vegan. The nutritional yeast helps add to the creamy texture of a risotto.
What is nutritional yeast?
Nutritional yeast is inactive powdered yeast with a cheesy flavour. It makes a great vegan option for any recipe in need of a cheese taste. At 2g net carbs per ¼ cup (15g) serving, it's a great low carb option.
It is a great source of protein and minutes but more importantly for vegans it has vitamin B12. Vitamin B12 is found in animal products and is an essential vitamin for the health of the nervous system and red blood cells.
If you want a low carb vegetarian risotto, substitute the nutritional yeast with ½ cup vegetarian parmesan cheese. Add ¼ cup of heavy cream at the recipe card stage of stirring in the chopped basil for a creamy texture.
Taste test the risotto as you cook it to adjust for flavours. If you don't want a strong lemon taste, add the juice a tablespoon at a time.
More keto vegan recipes
For another keto cauliflower risotto with a summer taste, try our keto vegetarian Caprese Risotto.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Lemon Basil Cauliflower Risotto
- 3 cups cauliflower rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- ¼ cup white wine optional
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- In a large frying pan or skillet, heat the butter on medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onion and saute until soft for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the olive oil and cauliflower rice. Toss the cauliflower rice to coat with the oil and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, wine (if using), lemon juice and lemon rind. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Chop the basil.
- Add the basil, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper and stir to blend the nutritional yeast into the cauliflower rice.
- Cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Serve whilst still warm.
YOUR OWN NOTES