This low carb lemon strawberry cake recipe is baked with coconut flour and is a moist cake full of flavour.
If you have encountered coconut flour cake and it has been dry, then try this recipe instead. Can’t believe it’s not gluten should be the tag line for this cake. The trick for a light coconut flour cake is to separate the eggs and whisk the egg whites. I saw an electric whisk on offer this week so must get one before they disappear as my other one burnt out. Probably due to overuse and however strong my drinking arm is (never challenge me to badminton. I will smash you with the drinking arm) I am tired of the manual whisk.
Make me something sweet was the request of a travelling husband when I said I was going to do some baking. He keeps slipping into sweet treats when he travels unsupervised, so the answer to his question is going to be a low carb cake. I had a bag full of lemons and a punnet of strawberries in the fridge so thought that I would put them together to make as simple lemon strawberry cake. The result was a delicious cake perfect for summer. The cake texture is moist and the taste is sweet with a touch of lemon. The Chief Taster declared this his favourite sponge to date. Then again, he says this with about every other cake and I think he is starting to lose track of them all. It’s all just a cake blur to him.
A great bonus of using strawberries for this lemon strawberry cake is that when you are cutting the tops off the strawberries, put them in a jar and add water. Leave for a few hours or overnight in the fridge and you have refreshing strawberry water! I’ve found that it goes lovely with vodka too but that’s another story/Friday night…
Lemon Strawberry Cake
Enjoy another slice of this lemon strawberry cake for a lovely spring or summer treat. The lemon taste goes well with the juicy baked strawberries. You could slice the strawberries instead of halving them too to decorate the top. I liked the juicy halves which released a bit of juice into the lemon cake when baked. A great afternoon treat or a delicious breakfast the next day!
Lemon Strawberry Cake
- 1/2 cup 56g coconut flour
- 5 eggs separated
- 1/2 cup erythritol
- 1/2 cup 113g butter, unsalted softened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 lemons - juice & grated rind
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- 8 strawberries topped & cut in half
- Preheat the oven to 180C/375F degrees.
- Grease and line a 8 inch springform cake tin with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix the erythritol and butter together until soft and blended.
- Add the egg yolks and vanilla extract and stir thoroughly.
- Add the coconut flour, coconut milk, salt, baking powder, lemon juice and rind and beat until combined.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the cake mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into the baking tin and smooth evenly.
- Gently push the strawberry halves into the cake mixture. Get creative with a pattern!
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until firm.
- Allow to cool, then slice, eat and enjoy!