This low carb blueberry cream cheese coffee cake is made of three layers. A perfection of cake, cheesecake, berries and crumble. In one delicious low carb cake.
The bottom layer is a moist vanilla cake that I baked with coconut flour. I separate the eggs and whisk up the egg whites to help keep the cake moist. It’s a method that works for me with this cake recipe and keeps it light. Coconut flour has a reputation of being heavy, but that does not need to be the case. Treated right, it can be light and moist.
The next layer is a cream cheese layer that is almost cheesecake in nature. It adds a soft, yet firm and sweet texture to the cake.
On top of that, plump blueberries are scattered which once cooked give a delicious bite and sweet, yet slightly sharp consistency.
Finally, you have the cinnamon, spiced crumble topping that brings the whole taste experience of this cake together.
Sweet, crunchy and the taste of cinnamon combines so beautifully with the other layers, I can only weep as I type and vow to bake another one. That’s a heady perfection of cake, cheesecake, berries and crumble. In one delicious cake.
If you served this blueberry cream cheese coffee cake without revealing the flour, no one would know that it is a slice of low carb and gluten free delight, as well as no sugar. You will get requests to make it again though!
- 1/2 cup 58g Coconut flour
- 5 Eggs separated
- 1/2 cup 107g erythritol/xylitol
- 1/2 cup 113g Butter softened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- 8 oz 224g Cream Cheese softened
- 1/4 cup 54g erythritol/xylitol
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 Lemon - juice & zest
- 1/3 cup 38g Coconut flour
- 1/3 cup 71g erythritol/xylitol
- 1/4 cup 56g Butter soft, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 cup 148g Blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 180C/375F degrees.
- Grease and line an 8 inch springform cake tin with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix the erythritol and butter together until soft and blended.
- Add the egg yolks and vanilla extract and stir thoroughly.
- Add the coconut flour, salt, baking powder and beat until combined.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the cake mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into the baking tin and smooth evenly.
CREAM CHEESE LAYER
- In a bowl, add the softened cream cheese and beat with the erythritol (or sugar substitute).
- Add the egg, vanilla extract, lemon juice, zest and beat until smooth.
- Spoon this mixture over the cake mixture into the cake tin and smooth evenly.
- Scatter the blueberries over the cream cheese mixture.
- For the topping, place the coconut flour, cinnamon and erythritol in a bowl and mix until combined.
- Add the butter and mix with your hands, gently, so that the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Scatter the topping over the blueberries.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until firm and the top is cooked.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool, then place in the fridge to firm.