This hearty vegan shepherd's pie is a great low carb comfort dish. A cauliflower mash topping with a hearty mushroom, walnut and hemp seed filling is an easy vegan dinner to make.
High in protein and low in carbs, this is a great low carb vegan and vegetarian main dish. The cauliflower mash has a cheesy taste with the addition of nutritional yeast.
Is nutritional yeast low carb?
Nutritional yeast is a great keto ingredient and perfect for vegans and vegetarians. With a savoury cheesy flavour it is high in protein and full of B-vitamins and rich in B12. It's also a great source of fiber.
How to make a vegan shepherd's pie
A vegan shepherd's pie is usually made with potatoes, lentils or beans. This low carb version replaces the potatoes with cauliflower and the lentils and beans with a mix of hemp hearts, mushrooms and walnuts. This filling could be used as a dish by itself with low carb noodles.
Mash the cauliflower when it is still warm as it's easier to mash. You can make is as smooth as you prefer.
The filling has a touch of crunch with the walnuts and is flavoured with stock, tomato paste, thyme and mustard. Feel free to add your own flavourings and herbs.
This shepherds pie can be made ahead and cooked for when you are ready to eat.
If you want to freeze this dish, it can be frozen before and after baking. Leftovers can be frozen but ensure the dish is thoroughly defrosted before reheating.
More low carb vegan dishes to try
If you are looking for more low carb vegan main dishes, here's a few recipes to try.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Low Carb Vegan Shepherd's Pie
- 1 medium cauliflower
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup hemp hearts
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 5 stalks celery chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms chopped
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup vegetable stock
Make the topping
- Trim the cauliflower and cut into florets. Place into a medium saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the cauliflower is soft.
- Remove the cauliflower from the heat and drain the water.
- Mash the cauliflower with a potato ricer or a fork.
- Add the seasoning and nutritional year and mix well.
Make the filling
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan on a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes until soft.
- Add the mushrooms and celery and cook for a further 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure even cooking.
- Add the tomato paste, mustard and stock and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped walnuts, hemp hearts and seasoning. Stir well and cook for 5 minutes. Taste test and adjust the seasoning for your own preference.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C/375F degrees.
- Spoon the filling into large ramekin dishes (I used 8oz dishes) or one baking dish.
- Pipe or spoon the mashed cauliflower on top of the filling.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Leave a Reply