These mushroom stuffed zucchini boats are baked with cheese and make an easy low carb vegetarian recipe for summer.
Both zucchini and mushrooms are two low carb vegetables that go well together. Add seasoning and cheese for a delicious main course or lunch.
How to make vegetarian stuffed zucchini
Making mushroom stuffed zucchini is an easy task. Small or medium sized zucchini work well but they should not be too skinny.
The flesh or seeded part of the zucchini are scooped out to be cooked as part of the filling. Use a knife to cut around the area you wish to scoop out. Then using a small spoon scoop out the zucchini flesh.
Can you make this keto vegan?
This vegetarian zucchini mushroom recipe can easily be made keto vegan. Omit the cheese topping, add chopped nuts to the filling and bake! You could top the filled zucchini with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast too.
Add chopped walnuts to the cooked mushroom mixture for extra crunch
Try a different mix of cheese. Mozzarella or Gouda would work. Or up the flavour with goats cheese added to the filling.
Add different flavourings to the mushroom mixture. Tarragon, basil or rosemary are herbs that pair well with mushrooms.
More keto vegetarian zucchini recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Mushroom Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- 2 zucchinis
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 mushroom chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup Cheddar Cheese grated/shredded
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthways. Using a sharp knife, score the area that you with to removed.Scoop out the zucchini flesh using either a small spoon or melon baller. (I used my ½ teaspoon measuring spoon).
- Chop the removed zucchini flesh.
- In a medium frying pan heat the oil on a medium heat and cook the garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and zucchini flesh and cook for 7-8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and season with the thyme, salt and pepper.
- Place the zucchini boats in a baking dish or on a baking tray.
- Spoon the cooked mushroom mixture into the zucchini boats.
- Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden.
- Serve warm with chopped parsley (optional).