This mushroom walnut taco meat is a healthy, vegan alternative to taco meat. It’s rich, hearty and incredibly flavorful with a great texture.
A quick and easy keto vegan recipe that can be ready in 15 minutes. Serve the seasoned taco meat as it is in a bowl or use it in a recipe. The balance of spices give a great flavor.
Walnuts & Mushrooms as a meat substitute
When mushrooms and walnuts are chopped fine, like ground beef, they make a great vegan meat substitute. As they are also low in carbs they are also a good low carb vegan and vegetarian option.
A serving of this walnut mushroom meat substitute has just 5g net carbohydrates. The serving is a quarter of the recipe.
What type of mushrooms can be used?
Although fresh white mushrooms work well in this recipe, dried shiitake mushrooms can be used too. Rehydrate the dried mushrooms before use. A mix of fresh and dry mushrooms can be used too.
How to make vegan mushroom walnut taco meat
The key to this recipe is the seasoning. We used our homemade taco seasoning recipe but you can use your own. Be wary of using packet taco seasoning as it may contain fillers and additives.
A simple taco seasoning recipe is:
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Cook the onion in the avocado oil in a large skillet.
- Add the garlic.
- Place the mushrooms and walnuts in a food processor.
- Pulse until finely chopped.
- Add the mushroom walnut mixture to the skillet.
- Stir in the taco seasoning and tomato paste.
- Cook for a few minutes.
- Ready to serve or use in another recipe.
How to serve mushroom walnut taco meat
Serve this vegan mushroom walnut taco meat on a pile of lettuce leaves or use it for burritos, tostadas, loaded keto tortilla chips and other dishes.
A few recipe suggestions are:
- Vegetarian Mushroom Enchiladas
- Use as a filling for zucchini boats
- Stuff a pepper with the mixture, sprinkle cheese on top and bake.
- Vegetarian Taco Salad
- Vegan Walnut Tacos
- Vegetarian Empanadas
Walnut Mushroom Tacos
Once you have made a batch of this walnut mushroom taco meat, assembly walnut mushroom tacos is easy.
Using a batch of our almond flour tortillas or flaxseed tortillas, spread the walnut taco meat in the centre. Spoon guacamole or sliced avocado on top and serve with lime wedges. An easy and quick keto vegan dinner once you have the walnut taco meat and low carb tortillas to hand.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you want to make this ahead of another recipe or have any leftover, store this in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
Once the mixture is cooled, it can be frozen but should be put into an air tight container or zip locked bag. It should last up to 3 months in the freezer. Defrost in the fridge before use.
Although we have not soaked our walnuts before use, you can soak them in water overnight, they dry them before use. Soaking nuts can help with their digestion.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Mushroom Walnut Taco Meat
- 4 oz mushrooms
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup taco seasoning we use our own recipe
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- In a large skillet, heat the avocado oil on a medium heat and add the onion. Cook for 5-8 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Whilst the onion is cooking, clean the mushrooms and add them with the walnuts to a food process.
- Pulse until you have a finely chopped mixture.
- Add the mushroom and walnut mixture to the skillet.
- Sprinkle the seasoning over the mixture and add the tomato paste. Stir thoroughly.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- It's ready to eat or use in another recipe.
YOUR OWN NOTES