Vibrant and tasty rainbow veggie skewers are a great way to enjoy low carb vegetables on the grill! Brushed with a lemon garlic and herb oil, they make an easy summer recipe for everyone.
Once you have your vegetables chopped, these grilled vegetable skewers are a quick and easy recipe to make on the grill. You could prepare these in advance too.
How to make rainbow veggie skewers
As well as keeping these vegetable kebabs colourful, I’ve kept them low carb by using the following vegetables for the colours of a rainbow.
- Tomato (Red)
- Red pepper (Red)
- Orange pepper (Orange)
- Yellow pepper (Yellow)
- Zucchini (Green)
- Red onion (Indigo)
- Eggplant (Violet)
Other low carb vegetables you could add to these colourful kebabs are yellow zucchini, green pepper and broccoli.
How to serve rainbow veggie kebabs
These grilled vegetable skewers make a great low carb vegan dish by themselves with a side salad or two such as hemp tabbouleh or herbed cauliflower rice. To up the protein macro, add grilled tofu to the skewers.
I enjoy these with some grilled halloumi cheese or Feta cheese. Once grilled, I remove the vegetables from the sticks and throw in a bowl with the cheese. Add a dash of the skewer dressing and you have a great meal.
If you want to finish your meal on a colourful note, try a Rainbow Roll Cake.
To ensure even cooking, cut and slice the vegetables in a similar size. I start with the zucchini slices and then try to match the others to that size.
If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for an hour before use to prevent the vegetables sticking to them.
Marinade the vegetables with the dressing before assembling for an extra taste.
I find that the eggplant and onion takes longer to cook, so I point my skewers in a circle with them on the hotter part of the grill.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Rainbow Veggie Skewers
- 1 red onion peeled
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 red pepper stem & seeds removed
- 1 yellow pepper stem & seeds removed
- 1 orange pepper stem & seeds removed
- 1 medium zucchini ends removed
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons parsley chopped
- 3 tablespoons basil chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the grill to medium.
- Chop the vegetables into 2 inch chunks. You want them all as similar size as possible.
- Place the vegetables on a skewer and arrange in rainbow pattern.
- In a small bowl add the olive oil, garlic and lemon juice. Whisk and add stir in the chopped basil and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the vegetable skewers with the dressing.
- Place the skewers on the grill and cook for 5-6 minutes until the vegetables are slightly charred on the outside, turning over to ensure even cooking.
- Remove from the grill and serve immediately.
YOUR OWN NOTES