This asparagus pepper frittata is colourful as well as tasty. The roasted asparagus and sweet roasted red pepper add a depth of flavour that balances each other.
I used two gratin dishes to bake these as a change from using the frying pan. As well as looking pretty, it was nice to have my own mini frittata rather than cutting a quarter from a frying pan.
My first attempt with this asparagus pepper frittata was cooked in a frying pan but I was not happy with the outcome. Annoyed with myself that I could not cook a basic frittata I reached for the wine and reviewed my work. I had lightly boiled the asparagus and used ready roasted peppers. On paper this should have been a tasty dish but it was lacking a little something. The feta I added didn’t really lift the dish either.
With the wine finished, I finished sobbing, dried my eyes and moved onto my second attempt. This time I roasted both the asparagus and red pepper together. As I removed them from the oven I was more confident about the frittata. Roasting brings out a better flavour of the asparagus and the smells were tempting. The Feta cheese was out and I brought in grated Parmesan for the frittata.
Asparagus Red Pepper Frittata
I had been going through my cupboards and found two gratin dishes which I thought would be cute for a frittata. I added some garlic and spring onions to the vegetables and voila! The second frittata was just perfect. Firm, tasty and colourful. It made a great lunch along with some salad and tasty coleslaw. The size is just perfect for one person and makes a great lunch as well as a delicious picnic dish.
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 red pepper
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 cloves garlic peeled & chopped
- 2 spring onions chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Cut the asparagus to fit the baking dishes.
- Cut the peppers in half and remove the seeds and core.
- Toss both the asparagus and peppers in one tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Place on a baking tray and roast for 25-30 minutes.
- When roasted, remove from the tin and allow to slightly cool before handling.
- Remove the skin from the pepper and chop the pepper into small squares.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan and gently cook the garlic for 3-4 minutes until slightly golden.
- Add the chopped spring onions and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Beat the eggs, add the Parmesan cheese, cream and season with the salt and pepper.
- Lightly butter the baking dishes.
- Arrange the asparagus, red pepper, onion and garlic mixture in the baking dish.
- Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables.
- Bake in the oven at 180C/375F degrees for 25-30 minutes until the frittata is firm.