Zucchini takes the place of pasta in this easy low carb zucchini ricotta roll ups recipe. A creamy filling of spinach, ricotta and artichoke are rolled up in strips of zucchini and baked in an alfredo sauce for a hearty low carb vegetarian dinner.
The beauty of zucchini roll ups is that they are great for portion control. You can have a few for a light lunch with a side salad, or more for dinner!
How to Make Spinach Zucchini Ricotta Roll Ups
This is an easy and fun dish to make.
- Cut the zucchini into thin lengthways strips.
- Salt the zucchini strips and leave for 30 minutes to remove excess water.
- Mix the ricotta, spinach, artichokes, mozzarella and seasoning.
- Spoon the mixture over the zucchini strips and roll up.
- Place the zucchini strips in a baking dish.
- Cover with alfredo sauce and bake.
Make the zucchini roll ups and alfredo sauce ahead. When when you are ready to bake, pour the alfredo sauce over them and bake.
A sugar free marinara sauce can be used in place of the alfredo. Spoon the marinara sauce on the bottom of the baking dish before baking, place the zucchini rolls on top and sprinkle mozzarella over before baking.
More Low Carb Vegetarian Dinner Recipes
Watch the video here
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Zucchini Ricotta Roll Ups
- 3 medium zucchini
- ½ cup spinach, frozen defrosted or cooked
- 4 oz artichokes tinned or jar
- 1 lemon juice & rind
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup ricotta
- ½ cup Mozzarella cheese grated
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan, vegetarian
- 1 cup Heavy/Whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Prepare the Zucchini
- Slice zucchini lengthwise with either a vegetable peeler or a mandolin cutter.
- Sprinkle them with salt and let them sit for 30 minutes. (This is to draw the excess water out).
- Rinse and dry with a paper towel.
Make the Alfredo Sauce
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter on a medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the cream and cream cheese. Stir until the cream cheese has melted.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Simmer for 3-5 minutes until the sauce thickens. Stir occasionally to prevent any sticking or burning of the sauce.
Make the Filling
- In a bowl, mix the spinach, ricotta, mozzarella, chopped artichokes, lemon, garlic, salt & pepper and stir well.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees
- Place the zucchini strips on a board and take about a tablespoon of the spinach mixture and spread over the strip.
- Roll up the zucchini and repeat until all the strips are used.
- Place the zucchini rolls, end facing up in a baking dish. I used an 9 inch circular baking dish.
- Pour the alfredo sauce over the zucchini rolls
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden on top.
YOUR OWN NOTES