This mushroom roulade recipe is a delicious keto vegetarian dish. Made with mushrooms with a filling of spinach and walnuts.
At only 2g net carbs a slice, this makes a great low carb vegetarian main recipe. This would be a great replacement for a nut roast for holidays or a main meal.
Roulades are easy and look great as a centerpiece on the table too. I love how they look like you made an effort too.
I like the flavour combination of mushroom and spinach, with the walnuts giving an added crunch to the dish. As I do enjoy a roulade these flavours make for a great savoury vegetarian roulade recipe. This could be a healthier version of a vegetable wellington. Instead of wrapping up vegetables in pastry, wrap them up in more vegetables.
Mushroom roulade tips
For the mushrooms, you could use any type, even a mixture. Once they are all cooked, you will need to blend them with the yolk so that the roulade will be smooth.
Although this vegetarian roulade is delicious warm, any cold slices the next day are just as tasty. You could save slices for lunch the next day and serve them with a salad.
More roulade recipes
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons thyme chopped
- 5 medium eggs separated
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic peeled & chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup spinach cooked
- 2 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 oz walnuts chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
Make the Roulade
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Heat the butter in a pan on a medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Finely chop the mushrooms and add to the pan.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked.
- Stir in the thyme and season with the salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- Place the mushroom mixture in a bowl and add the egg yolks and blend (I use a hand blender), so the mixture is smooth.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the mushroom mixture.
- Grease and line a rectangle baking tray with parchment paper.
- Spread the mixture evenly in the baking tray and bake for 15 minutes until firm and slightly golden.
Make the Filling
- In a bowl mix the cream cheese, spinach and parmesan together until soft and spreadable.
- When the roulade is ready, remove from the oven and with a knife gently loosen the edges.
- Place the roulade on top of a large piece of parchment paper and tap the tin for the roulade to come out.
- Remove the parchment paper that was used to bake the roulade from the top of it.
- Spread the spinach cheese mixture over the roulade.
- Scatter the chopped walnuts over the filling.
- Using the parchment paper at the bottom from the smaller edge, roll the roulade up.
- Remove the parchment paper and serve.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.