This low carb cheese empanadas recipe uses a pastry made with coconut flour and psyllium husk powder. As the empanada is baked it is a lot healthier than the traditional fried recipe.
This coconut flour dough is one of my current favourites. It’s easy to make, low in carbs, gluten free and high in fibre. You could add other flavourings to the dough if you wish. Pep it up with some garlic powder or some cayenne pepper. The psyllium husk powder gives the dough some elasticity and plenty of fibre.
We both enjoy these baked empanadas as a snack or when we are hungry and not sure what to eat for lunch. A batch of these are quickly whipped up and soon devoured as they come out of the oven!
Keto Cheese Pastries
- 1/2 cup Coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon Pysllium husk powder
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 6 tablespoons Coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1/2 cup Boiling Water
- 4 Spring onions chopped
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese grated
- 1/4 cup Mozzarella cheese grated
- 1 Egg, beaten to glaze
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees
- Place all the dry ingredients in a bowl and blend well.
- Add the oil and egg and stir until combined.
- Add the boiling water, gradually until you have a dough. Firm up with your hands.
- Roll out the dough by placing it on a piece of parchment paper, place another piece of parchment paper on top, then roll out.
- Cut out 4 large circles
- Place the circles on top of a parchment paper lined baking tin.
- Spoon the filling ingredients over half the circles.
- Fold half of the dough over the filling to make half circles and press down the edges. I used a fork for a pattern and to firm the edges.
- Brush the tops of the dough with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.