This whole roasted cauliflower recipe makes a stunning centrepiece as well as being delicious. It’s a creative way to serve cauliflower as a main dish and a great option for a vegetarian main roast dinner. Perhaps something different for Christmas dinner? It looks a bit like a brain but that’s probably my strange perspective!
There is a roasted cauliflower side dish that I love with mustard and lemon so I thought about roasting a whole head of cauliflower for a change. Many moons ago when I was at University, I was making cauliflower cheese (a trusted student dish) and boiled a whole head of cauliflower instead of cutting it into florets. It was delicious and a hearty dish. Served more than one hungry student!
Although I added Parmesan cheese to this dish, you could omit it to keep it Paleo. I just fancied a touch of Parmesan cheese that day and wanted a slightly cheesy crunch to this dish.
As the roasted cauliflower was cooking I basted it with the melted butter and oil mixture that was in the bottom of the pan. Try and drizzle it all over the cauliflower and get some inside of it if you can. I had previously tried this with a different flavour combination with warm Moroccan spices and chopped onion. It did not work very well and the onion burnt a bit. The dry spices were tasty but did not quite give the cauliflower dish what I had in my mind. More butter works, every time. With everything!
Whole Roasted Cauliflower
- 1 whole cauliflower
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Juice & rind of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup (25g) Parmesan cheese grated
- Chopped parsley to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C/425F degrees
- Trim the outer leaves of the cauliflower and trim the stalk so that it can stand upright on a baking dish.
- Place the cauliflower on a parchment paper lined baking tray or dish.
- Melt the butter and mix with the olive oil.
- Add the garlic powder, mustard, lemon juice & rind, salt and pepper.
- Brush the butter mixture all over the cauliflower.
- Bake in the oven for an hour until tender. Baste occasionally. Test it by inserting a skewer into the centre of the cauliflower. It should pass easily and you can feel if it is tender.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and place back into the oven for 5-8 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chopped parsley over the cauliflower and serve.
- Eat and enjoy!