Palm hearts are shredded and served in a low carb BBQ sauce with soft low carb tortillas for a hearty keto vegetarian lunch.
This BBQ palm hearts recipe is a vegetarian version of "pulled meat". As well as serving them with a soft tortilla, you could serve them in a low carb burger bun. Add a side of jalapeno coleslaw for an extra spicy taste.
What are palm hearts?
Harvested from certain varieties of palms, hearts of palm make a great vegetarian and vegan replacement for meat. They are rich in nutrients, low in carbs and packed with essential minerals.
Heart of palms are usually sold in cans or jars and can be found in most grocery stores. If you can't find them in your vegetable aisle, you might need to order a few cans online.
How do I use hearts of palm?
Chopped hearts of palm are a great addition to a salad when chopped straight from the can. They have a smoother taste than artichokes and can also be used in any dish as a substitute for artichokes.
To make this a keto vegan recipe you will need to replace the butter in the BBQ sauce with a vegan alternative.
BBQ Palm Hearts
- 14 oz palm hearts canned
Smoky BBQ Sauce
- ½ cup tomato paste sugar free
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons erythritol
- 1 tablespoon butter use dairy free alternative to make vegan
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Add all the ingredients in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Stir and simmer for 5 minutes until all the ingredients are combined and the sauce starts to thicken.
- Adjust to taste. Perhaps more liquid smoke or cumin.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Pour into a glass container or jar until ready for use. Store in the fridge.
- Shred the palm hearts length ways and place in a small saucepan.
- Add half of the BBQ sauce and mix.
- Gently heat through to serve warm.
- Serve with keto flatbread or keto bread roll.
YOUR OWN NOTES
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Leave a Reply