Enjoy a bowl of this spicy jalapeno coleslaw as a spicy side dish, low carb wrap filling or a keto vegetarian burger topping.
This creamy keto coleslaw has a delicious touch of heat from the jalapenos. I only used a couple of jalapenos, but you could increase the quantity for additional heat. The great thing about coleslaw is that be made the night before and the flavour develops.
There are many different coleslaw recipes with just a small adjustment to the ingredients to make it your own. This is a simple coleslaw recipe with jalapeno that can be tweaked to your own taste.
Is coleslaw keto?
It is far better to make your own homemade coleslaw as store bought will be laden with sugar. The oils in the mayonnaise of store bought might not be the best choice either. For a keto coleslaw, make your own mayonnaise and chop your own cabbage mixture. If you have a sweet tooth add a couple of teaspoons of powdered erythritol to the coleslaw mixture.
Cabbage is a great low carb vegetable and can be a cheap ingredient too.
How to make jalapeno keto coleslaw
Home made low carb coleslaw is quick and easy. You can finely chop the cabbage or put it through the food processor. Or use a bag of prepared coleslaw mixture.
The ingredients in this jalapeno coleslaw are:
- Cabbage – I like a mix of red and white cabbage for colour and taste. The red cabbage has a slightly sweeter taste than the white.
- Green onions – These go well with the jalapeno flavour of this coleslaw.
- Jalapenos – De-seed them before chopping to add to the coleslaw. Add extra to increase the heat.
- Mayonnaise – Use home made mayonnaise and if you want to make this dish a keto vegan one, try a keto vegan mayonnaise.
Substitutions & Tips
Sour cream can be added to the mayonnaise
If you don’t have fresh jalapenos, pickled will work.
Cumin could be added to the coleslaw.
Add a dash of lime for an extra citrus flavour.
If you don’t have green onions, finely slice half a red onion.
Cilantro would make a great fresh herb addition.
What to serve with jalapeno coleslaw
Other low carb coleslaw recipes
- 1 cup White cabbage finely sliced
- ½ cup Red Cabbage finely slices
- 3 green onions finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 jalapenos de-seeded & chopped
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Thinly slice the red and white cabbage either by using a large sharp knife, or use a food processor.
- Place the cabbage, onions and chopped jalapeno in a bowl.
- Stir in the mayonnaise and add the Dijon mustard, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. Ensure that the cabbage is thoroughly covered.
- Cover and store in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Leave a Reply