Easy keto cauliflower falafel burgers are made without pulses or grains. A keto vegetarian burger with all the taste of a falafel but is also Paleo and gluten free too.
Falafel can be too high in carbs as it uses chickpeas. So we made a low carb cauliflower burger with the taste of a falafel. The cauliflower takes on the spices and fresh herbs well.
How to make a keto cauliflower burger
Steamed cauliflower is mixed with fresh herbs and spices normally used for a falafel with almond flour binding the mixture together. I did not use an egg as the cauliflower is moist enough by itself, making these burgers vegan too.
A food processor was used to blend all the ingredients to make a smooth burger but you could mix this in a bowl.
- Almond Flour
- Hemp Seeds
- Flat leaf parsley
The crispy coating
Hulled hemp seed hearts and almond flour were used to make a crispy coating for the burgers. Using just the hemp seed hearts alone would provide an extra crunch.
What to serve with keto cauliflower falafel burgers
You can enjoy these keto cauliflower burgers by themselves with a salad or serve them in low carb burger buns. Make a quick tahini sauce to drizzle over the burger by mixing tahini, water and a dash of lemon together.
Side Dishes To Serve with this:
If you find the mixture too soft, add more almond flour or a couple of tablespoons of coconut flour. Coconut flour is a thirsty flour and will soak up any excess moisture.
More keto vegetarian burger recipes
Keto Cauliflower Falafel Burgers
- 2 cups cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 red onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ¼ cup cilantro, fresh
- ¼ cup flat leaf parsley
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ounce hemp seed husks - hulled
- 1 ounce almond flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Steam the cauliflower florets for 3-8 minutes until slightly soft
- Allow to cool.
- Remove any excess water from the cauliflower by squeezing the cauliflower in a nut bag or wring in a dish towel. You want every drop of water out otherwise the burger will be too soggy.
- Place the cauliflower in a blender with all the ingredients except the almond flour and pulse until smooth (you can pulse it to be chunky if you wish).
- Put the blended mixture in a bowl and add the almond flour a bit at a time, whilst working it though. The almond flour should help bind the mixture so you may not need all of it.
- Form patty shapes with the burger mixture. I made 8 but it may vary depending on what size burger you want.
- In a shallow dish, mix the hulled hemp seed hears and almond flour for the coating.
- Roll the patties in the coating mixture and place on a plate.
- Place in the fridge for 1 hour to firm up.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the burgers for 3-5 minutes each side, until golden.
YOUR OWN NOTES