Baked broccoli patties with Cheddar cheese are an easy, healthy, low carb vegetarian recipe for lunch or dinner. They are nut and coconut free too.
Broccoli and cheese make a great flavour combination and are often enjoyed as a soup or in a bake. You should try them more in these vegetarian broccoli cheese patties.
How to make broccoli patties
To make this recipe simple recipe with cooked broccoli mashed with cooked onions, garlic and cheese. The broccoli must be cooked before making the patties as raw broccoli would not cook as well.
To bind the broccoli and cheese mixture I have used a mixture of lupin flour and oat fiber. The lupin flour adds additional protein which is always welcome in a low carb vegetarian recipe. The oat fiber is a great moisture binder with no unwelcome taste.
Other low carb flours to use
The lupin flour and oat fiber can be swapped with almond flour or coconut flour. Flaxmeal would work but may overpower the taste of the broccoli and cheese.
As ever, with lupin flour, it's a legume so if you have a peanut allergy you may want to avoid using this.
What to eat with them
These keto vegetarian patties can be enjoyed by themselves, or served in a low carb burger bun. I used a quick low carb burger bun to enjoy the ones in the photos. Or try a lupin flour Everything keto burger bun.
Serve them with a side of celeriac or jicama fries for a hearty meal. A much healthier version of a fast food meal too!
Freezing the patties
Do these freeze? Happily I can confirm this! My first batch were frozen and defrosted with ease. The broccoli fritters were placed in a ziplock bag and frozen. I defrosted them before reheating them in an air fryer and by frying them in a pan.
Form the mixture into tots for a child friendly dish, or a tasty treat for yourself!
Replace the Cheddar cheese with gruyere or Monterey Jack cheese.
Frozen broccoli can be used. Defrost it first before use.
Instead of baking them, you could fry them or cook them in an air fryer.
More low carb vegetarian burgers & patties
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Baked Broccoli Patties
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Either steam or blanch the broccoli pieces until soft but not mushy
- Place the cooked florets in a large bowl and gently mash with a fork.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium frying pan and fry the onion and garlic until soft for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked onion, garlic with the egg, cheeses and parsley.
- Mix and season.
- Add the lupin flour and oat fiber and stir well to bind the mixture.
- Form the mixture into patties. I made about 6 medium sized patties.
- Place the patties on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then flip over and bake for further 10 minutes
- Serve and enjoy!
YOUR OWN NOTES