Spicy keto fried okra fritters make a great appetizer, light lunch or even a side dish. An easy recipe to make these okra fritters are madde with low carb flours making them also gluten-free and dairy-free. They can easily adapted to a keto vegan recipe too.
We found this to be a great way to enjoy okra, despite not being the biggest fans of okra. We used to find okra a bit "slimey" but that was probably more to with how it was cooked (not my cooking I hasten to add!)
Another name for okra
Okra has many names and may vary depending upon what part of the world you are living in. Some other names that okra is known as are:
- Lady's fingers
Is okra keto friendly
Okra is a great vegetable to use for a keto diet as it has just 3.8g net carbohydrates per 100g serving. As well as being low in carbs, okra is high in magnesium, potassium, vitamins C and K. It is also a good source of fiber.
After reading the health benefits of okra we thought we should try some keto okra recipes!
Keto okra fritter ingredients
We made two batches of these okra fritters using both almond flour and lupin flour to see what worked best. They both were great and there was not a great difference in appearance or taste between them. The lupin flour has a higher protein content and is lower in carbs in almond flour but it's not to everyone's taste in a fritter.
You could choose to use just almond flour or lupin flour depending upon your preference. Or even mix them together. Personally I preferred the lupin flour fritters but the husband preferred the almond flour fritters. It was a good job I split a batch between the two flours!
Turmeric and chili were used to add colour and extra flavour to the fritters. There will be heat from the fresh ginger and jalapeno too.
How to make fried keto okra fritters
This is an easy recipe to make and can be made in under 30 minutes.
- Chop and prepare the vegetables.
- Mix the dry ingredients.
- Add the egg.
- Mix into a batter.
- Add the chopped vegetables.
- Stir throughly.
- Scoop the mixture into balls.
- Place in a frying pan, press down and fry on both sides.
Storage and Reheating
The fried okra fritters can be stored in the refrigerator if you want to enjoy them again the next day. Keep them in an airtight container and they should last up to 3 days.
Reheat the fritters in a frying pan or even an air fryer for a couple of minutes until warmed through.
Can these okra fritters be frozen?
If you have any leftovers, the okra fritters can be frozen. Just place them in a ziplock bag, remove the air with a straw and freeze for up to 3 months.
Defrost them in the fridge, as they have egg in them.
Can you make this keto vegan?
This is an easy recipe to adapt for vegans. Omit the egg and replace it with almond milk. Adjust the quantity when making the batter until you have a thick batter that can be fried.
Coconut flour could be used in place of either the almond or lupin flour
If you don't want spicy fritters, omit the jalapeno and chili powder and replace with garlic powder and onion powder
What to serve with fried okra fritters
We preferred to serve this with a mint yogurt by mixing full fat Greek yogurt with chopped mint. Sour cream and chopped chives would be a great dipping sauce too.
More keto okra recipes
Fried okra is a popular recipe that is easily adaptable to a low carb recipe, but try these other okra recipes too.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Keto Fried Okra Fritters
- 2 cups okra chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers deseeded and chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger peeled and grated
- 1 small onion peeled and diced
- 1 large egg beaten
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup lupin flour can be swapped with almond flour
- ½ cup almond flour can be swapped with lupin flour
- ½ cup water amount may vary
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add the beaten egg and grated ginger and mix into a thick batter. Add the water in bit by bit until you have a thick and smooth batter.
- Stir in the chopped vegetables and mix well.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or skillet on a medium heat.
- Using either a medium cookie scooper or a spoon, take about ¼ cup size of the batter and place in the frying pan. Press down with the back of your spatula to flatten and fry for 3-5 minutes each side until golden and firm.
- Serve with a mint yoghurt.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Leave a Reply