These keto halloumi fries are cooked in an air fryer for an extra crispy coating to these strips of cheese. Fried cheese is a perfect low carb appetizer.
This is a favourite keto vegetarian recipe and a great snack or side dish. It makes a hearty appetizer when served with a dip.
How to make Halloumi Fries
The ingredients are simple, making this an easy dish to make:
- Halloumi cheese - Usually sold in blocks
- Almond flour - A great breadcrumb coating replacement. You could replace this with coconut flour.
- Oat fiber - Makes a great low carb flour replacement. Is used to help make the coatings stick. The white oat fiber from Life Source is used for this recipe.
- Egg - a medium egg is used.
- Paprika - Entirely optional and is used to give the halloumi coating extra flavour.
- Salt & Pepper - No savoury recipe is without this pairing.
You will need 3 bowls for your dipping station. One for the egg wash, one for oat fiber and one for the spicy almond flour.
The halloumi sticks are dipped into the oat fiber, the egg wash, then the almond flour. The oat fiber is used to help make the coatings stick, just as regular flour is used in recipes.
A dip along with these keto fries completes them! A few suggestions are:
Other cheese substitutions are Paneer or Queso Fresco if you can't find halloumi.
Add other spices to the coating for your own taste. Spicier would make a great contrast to the cheese or a mixture of herbs would be delicious too.
These halloumi fries can be baked in the oven or pan fried if you don't have an air fryer.
More halloumi recipes
Air Fried Halloumi Fries
- Air Fryer
- Cut the halloumi block into 1cm strips lengthways
- Using 3 shallow bowls, set up your dipping station. One with the beaten egg, one with the oat fiber and the other with almond and seasoning mixture.
- Dip the halloumi strips into the oat fiber, then the beaten egg and finally the almond flour. Ensure that the strips are coated.
- Lightly spray the air fryer basket with olive oil.
- Place the coated halloumi strips into the basket as one single layer. (you will need to cook the halloumi fries in batches)
- Lightly spray the halloumi strips with olive oil and cook for 15 minutes at 200C/400F degrees.
- Serve immediately with a dip.
YOUR OWN NOTES
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.