An easy keto marinara sauce that is great to have with zucchini noodles or a pizza topping. Ready to eat in 20 minutes.
This version of a marinara sauce has an additional ingredient just for us low carb vegetarian and vegans! Although not traditionally in this sauce, I've added nutritional yeast!
Nutritional yeast is a great source of Vitamin B12 and is a good way to add additional proteins and minerals to your meal. I used it in this sauce because I used to add Parmesan to my marinara sauce for extra flavour and texture. For this keto vegetarian sauce, I wanted to keep it dairy free and vegan too so I reached for my packet of nutritional yeast!
It is purely optional in this recipe and feel free to omit it!
How to Make Keto Marinara Sauce
You could use either fresh or tinned tomatoes for this keto marinara sauce. When choosing tinned tomatoes check the nutritional label and ingredients for sugar and additives. If you are using fresh, the ripest tomatoes are the best. I prefer either cherry tomatoes or plum.
As well as simply adding to zucchini noodles, this sauce can be used in many ways. A few suggestions are:
A dip with Vegetarian Pigs in a Blanket
Keto Marinara Sauce
- 14 oz tomatoes tinned or fresh
- 4 cloves garlic peeled & chopped
- ½ medium onion peeled & chopped
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil ideally fresh
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the onion and garlic. Sautee for 3-5 minutes until soft.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano, basil, nutritional yeast, tomato puree, salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Either serve chunky style or process in a blender for a smoother sauce.