A low carb version of a classic Grissini Italian breadstick made with almond flour and oat fiber. An easy low carb, gluten-free and Paleo breadstick recipe too.
There are a few types of Italian breadsticks. Soft, cheesy and garlic. This recipe makes a low carb version of Grissini breadsticks which are crunchy thin uneven breadsticks that are pencil sized and are eaten as a snack or served as an appetizer.
Carbs in Breadsticks
Traditional Grissini Italian breadsticks are made with wheat flour and have 7g net carbohydrates per breadstick. These keto breadsticks are just 1g net carbs each.
You will need just 7 ingredients to make these keto Italian breadsticks.
We used oat fiber which is not a flour and is perfect for low carb bread recipes. Oat fiber is the fiber made from grinding the oat shell and is made purely from the husk. It’s an insoluble fiber and a great substitute for wheat flour for low carb baking.
How to make keto Italian breadsticks
This easy breadstick recipe is made from an easy low carb dough. Ensure that the dry ingredients are all mixed thoroughly so that there are not lumps when the dough is made.
Small balls of the dough are rolled out into pencil shape sticks. They do not need to be even and are traditional a bit knobbly.
Italian Breadsticks Flavours
These easy keto breadsticks can be enjoyed plain but are equally delicious with different flavours. When I make a batch I season the batch with 3 different seasonings for a touch of variety. A few seasoning suggestions are:
- Garlic - Add garlic powder to the dough.
- Caraway seeds - One of my personal favourites. Roll the dough in the seeds before baking.
- Zaatar - Roll the breadsticks in this before baking.
- Sea Salt - Sprinkle the sea salt on the breadsticks before baking.
- Sesame Seeds
- Finely Chopped olives - add to the dough mixture.
- Parmesan cheese - make sure you use a vegetarian brand
- Italian seasoning
Keep these breadsticks in the refrigerator in a sealed container. They should last up to 3 days.
What to serve with keto Grissini Italian breadsticks
Delicious by themselves, these keto breadsticks are best paired with a dip for a tasty appetizer. A few dip suggestions are:
Low Carb Marinara Sauce
The oat fiber can be substituted with coconut flour. The quantity will remain the same.
Psyllium husk powder helps to make this dough more elastic. But if you can't use this, try an flaxseed egg mixture to help bind the dough.
Rub olive oil on your hands before rolling the dough to prevent sticking. This also helps any seeds or flavorings to adhere to the breadsticks too.
Turn these into keto cheesy breadsticks by adding grated mozzarella cheese to them half way through baking.
This breadstick dough recipe could also be used for a pizza base.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Keto Italian Breadsticks
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add the beaten eggs and olive oil and mix thoroughly.
- Pour in the hot water a ¼ cup at time and mix until you have a dough.
- With lightly oiled hands, roll a small ball of the dough into a breadstick.
- Roll into your seasoning of choice if required.
- Place the breadsticks onto the baking tray and bake for 20 minutes, turning over half way through baking.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool thoroughly.
YOUR OWN NOTES