These keto eggplant meatballs are a tasty plant based meatball for a low carb vegetarian or vegan meal. Made with a mix of eggplants and mushrooms they are baked but could be air fried too.
A great choice for cleaning eating and Paleo, you could serve these by themselves or with a marinara sauce over zucchini noodles. You could make a casserole with them too. Bake them with a tomato sauce and slather them with mozzarella.
Hemp seed hearts have been sneaked into these keto eggplant meatballs for extra protein and crunch and to help bind them. If you wanted a crunchier meatball you could roll the finished balls in hemp seed hearts too.
ARE HEMP SEEDS GOOD FOR US?
Hemp seeds are a great source of complete protein for vegetarians and vegans. High in fibre and low in carbs they make a great addition to the keto diet. Hemp seeds also have a good balance of essential fats, including omega 3. High in beneficial antioxidants, great for skin health and cholesterol levels you should sprinkle some hemp seeds into your meals.
WHAT IS IN THESE EGGPLANT MEATBALLS?
Only a few ingredients are used in this simple eggplant recipe:
- Eggplant – I don’t salt my eggplants to remove any bitterness as the local grown ones here don’t really require it. As you are frying the eggplant before baking it doesn’t really matter.
- Mushrooms – You could omit them for a pure eggplant meatball, but they add extra flavour and help the texture.
- Almond flour – I use this to bind the meatball as I am not using an egg.
- Hemp hearts - I like the slight crunch and texture they help give these eggplant meatballs. They also help increase the protein content.
- Oregano & Thyme - I used dried herbs but fresh herbs such as basil and thyme would work.
What to Serve with Eggplant Meatballs
Most vegetarian meatballs are better with a sauce. Serve these with a marinara sauce, mushroom sauce or even our vodka sauce. As for an accompaniment, try baked spaghetti squash or our keto fried cabbage noodles.
More Vegetarian Eggplant Recipes
Keto Eggplant Meatballs
- 2 eggplants
- 5 mushrooms, button or white
- 2 cloves garlic peeled & chopped
- 1 onion peeled & chopped
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 oz hemp hearts (optional)
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Chop the eggplant into small chunks and slice the mushrooms.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan on a medium heat and fry the garlic, onion and egg plant for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally for even cooking.
- Add the mushrooms, oregano, thyme, salt & pepper and cook for a further 5-7 minutes until they are cooked.
- Place the eggplant mixture into a food processor and blend.
- Add the almond flour and hemp hearts and pulse until combined. The mixture might be a bit sticky.
- Using damp hands, fashion walnut sized balls from the eggplant mixture.
- Place the balls on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Bake at 180C/375F degrees for 20-25 minutes until firm.
YOUR OWN NOTES