Easy eggplant roll ups are made with grilled eggplant slices which are filled with a creamy feta, basil and red pepper filling. An easy and delicious low carb vegetarian appetizer for summer.
These tasty grilled eggplant appetizers can be prepared ahead, chilled and served later. The flavour of the filling develops too with chilling. Play with the filling and try adding other herbs or a dash of spice.
Carbs in Eggplant
Eggplant is a great low carb vegetable with just 3g net carbs per 100g (28oz) serving. It's a great high fiber vegetable that is versatile for a low carb vegetarian diet. Eggplant makes great vegetarian burgers, salads and meatballs.
How to make grilled eggplant roll ups
This is an easy recipe that can be made on the grill or on a griddle pan. The trick to the roll ups is slicing the eggplant thin enough that they can be rolled up once cooked.
If you slice them too thick to roll, don't despair! Simply spread the filling over them and serve them as an open eggplant sandwich!
For the filling I used a grilled red pepper from a jar for a quick recipe. If you have the BBQ grill fired up, throw on a red pepper, remove the charred skin and use that for a fresher flavour.
- Select firm eggplants.
- Thinly slice.
- Brush with oil and grill.
- Mix the filling and spread on eggplant slices. Roll and serve.
More low carb vegetarian appetizers
Watch the video here
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Grilled Eggplant Roll Ups
- 2 eggplants
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 oz Feta cheese crumbled
- 3 oz Cream cheese
- ½ red pepper grilled (jarred can be used)
- 6 basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Thinly slice the eggplants lengthways
- Brush with olive oil and cook the eggplant slices on the grill or griddle pan on a medium heat for about 3 minutes each side.
- Remove the eggplant slices from the grill and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the Feta cheese, cream cheese, basil, lemon juice and seasoning.
- Spread the filling over the eggplant slices evenly.
- Roll the eggplant slices up.
- Serve or chill for later.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Leave a Reply