Loaded zucchini skins make a great low carb vegetarian appetizer or snack. They are a healthier low carb version of loaded potato skins and so easy to make too.
These loaded zucchini are cooked in the air fryer and are ready in under 15 minutes. Zucchini skins are cooked with cheese, slathered with sour cream and a sprinkling of chopped chives for a great summer or game day appetizer.
How to make loaded zucchini skins
This is a quick and easy zucchini recipe that you will want to make again and again. I cooked it twice on the same day I made it!
- Take 2 medium zucchinis.
- Trim and cut into even pieces.
- Scoop out the flesh.
- Mix the seasoning.
- Cook the zucchini in an air fryer.
- Spoon cheese in the middle of the zucchini.
- Cook until golden.
- Serve with sour cream and chives.
Do you need an air fryer?
This recipe can be baked in the oven if you don't have an air fryer. You will need to increase the cooking time by about 5 minutes.
More low carb vegetarian appetizers
Add some heat to the seasoning with cayenne pepper or chipotle powder.
Replace the chopped chives with slices of jalapeno for a touch of spice.
Use any shredded cheese you enjoy. Plain cheddar or fresh mozzarella would work great. Or a mixed blend.
Don't throw the scooped zucchini away. Use it for another recipe. Grate it and make a zucchini grilled cheese.
Watch the video here
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Loaded Zucchini Skins
- 2 medium zucchini
- 3 oz Montery Jack cheese & Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chives chopped
- Trim the top and bottom from the zucchinis. Cut into 4 lengthways pieces.
- Slice the cut pieces into halve width ways.
- Using a small spoon or melon baller, scoop out the zucchini flesh from the cut pieces, leaving a small edge of about half a centimeter.
- In a small bowl, mix the garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Lightly brush the zucchini slices with oil and sprinkle theseasoning inside the “skins”.
- Place the zucchini slices with flesh side up in an air fryer basket.
- Cook for 8 minutes at 200C/400F.
- Spoon the shredded cheese into the zucchini skins.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes until the cheese and the zucchini edges are golden.
- Remove from the air fryer, spoon sour cream on top of the cheese and sprinkle with chopped chives.
- Serve immediately.