This keto zucchini grilled cheese is a great breakfast, lunch or light meal to enjoy and easy to make too. Enjoy your summer zucchini with this delicious keto vegetarian recipe.
Many keto grilled cheese recipes are made with the 90 second bread but this recipe uses zucchini and cheese to make the low carb “bread”. Once baked, a slice of cheese is place between the zucchini squares and fried in butter until golden.
How to make a zucchini grilled cheese sandwich
Squeezing the water out of the grated zucchini is vital to hold the “bread” together. I use a nut bag, but other methods to squeeze the water are wrapping the zucchini in strong paper towel or a muslin cloth.
You could make the zucchini bread ahead, store in the fridge and make the grilled cheese later. That way your grilled cheese is quicker to make when you have a hankering for one.
Can you freeze the zucchini bread slices?
The zucchini slices can be frozen but need to cool completely down after cooking. Place them in layers of parchment paper to keep the zucchini squares separate, then store in a ziplock bag before placing in the freezer. Ensure that they are defrosted thoroughly before use.
Tips & Suggestions
Replace the almond flour with coconut flour. I would recommend about ¼ cup of coconut flour.
Use the zucchini bread squares for other recipes. I’ve enjoyed them for breakfast with a fried egg on top and also for avocado on toast.
Another use for the zucchini bread is a delicious cheese on toast recipe. Place grated Cheddar cheese or a slice of Gruyere cheese on the zucchini slices and place under a grill/broiler until the cheese has melted.
Add herbs or spices for an additional flavour. Dried thyme or cayenne pepper would make a delicious option.
More keto vegetarian lunch recipes
Watch the video
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Zucchini Grilled Cheese
- 2 medium zucchini yields 2 cups grated zucchini
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese grated
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated vegetarian
- 1 medium egg beaten
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 slices cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
Making the zucchini bread
- Cut the ends from the zucchini and grate.
- Place the zucchini in a sieve and salt (this helps remove the moisture). Sit for 10-15 minutes over a bowl to catch any excess water.
- Give the grated zucchini a light wash to remove the salt, then using either nut bag, muslin cloth or strong kitchen towel, squeeze the water out of the zucchini.
- Place the squeezed zucchini into a bowl and add the almond flour, egg, Mozzarella, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Stir until the mixture is combined.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Spoon the zucchini onto the tray in 4 equal portions and shape into even squares.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 200C/400F then flip the zucchini squares over. Bake for another 10 minutes
- Remove the zucchini squares from the oven and cool for 10 minutes.
Making the Zucchini Grilled Cheese
- Heat the butter in a frying pan on a medium heat.
- Put a slice of cheese in between two zucchini slices and place in the frying pan.
- Fry for 2 minutes per side and flip over for even cooking.
- Slice the zucchini sandwich into 2 and eat!