A keto vegetarian halloumi sandwich with avocado filling and a chaffle in place of bread makes a hearty keto lunch. Serve warm or cool, it’s an easy and delicious low carb and gluten free meal.
Chaffles are a great low carb substitute for bread. Enjoy an avocado on "toast" with a chaffle! For this recipe I've used chaffles to make a sandwich. It's very filling and you may only manage half in one sitting!
I'm a huge fan of halloumi cheese and love it grilled. For me, it's the perfect sandwich filling. Add avocado, fresh spinach and mayonnaise and you have a great lunch at only 6g net carbs for the whole sandwich.
What is a chaffle?
A chaffle is a batter made from grated mozzarella and an egg. A low carb flour is added for texture and the mixture is cooked in a waffle maker. It makes a great low carb substitute for bread and makes a great chaffle sandwich!
Can you freeze a chaffle?
Chaffles can be frozen after cooking. Cool them and then place them in a freezer bag with parchment paper between each one to stop them sticking (rather like frozen vegetable burgers). To defrost you can pop them in the microwave, or leave them out at room temperature.
You could make the chaffle and grill the halloumi ahead. Then when you are ready to eat, assemble the sandwich. If you want to enjoy a warm keto sandwich, heat the chaffle and cheese up being assembly.
Add a dash of sriracha sauce to the mayonnaise for a touch of spice.
Keto Halloumi Sandwich
- 1 medium egg
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 4.5 oz halloumi cheese
- ½ avocado peeled and stone removed
- ¼ cup Spinach fresh
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise low carb
Make the Chaffle
- Turn on your waffle maker and lightly grease it (I give it a light spray with olive oil)
- In a small bowl, beat the egg.
- Add the mozzarella and almond flour. Mix well.
- Spoon the batter into your waffle maker (mine is a square double waffle and this mixture covers both waffle sections. If you are using a smaller waffle maker spoon half the mixture in at a time).
- Close the lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Using tongs, remove the cooked chaffle,
Make the Filling
- Slice the halloumi into pieces, lengthways.
- Heat a griddle pan or frying pan on a medium heat.
- Fry the halloumi slices for 2-3 minutes each side until golden.
- Remove from the pan.
Assemble the Sandwich
- Spread the mayonnaise on both chaffle slices.
- Place one chaffle on a plate and place the spinach over it.
- Layer the halloumi on top of the spinach and then the avocado slices.
- Place the other chaffle on top and cut in half.
- Serve immediately.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.