This pumpkin alfredo sauce is a quick and easy creamy sauce. Flavoured with sage this pumpkin sauce is great served over low carb noodles.
The pumpkin puree gives a rich flavour and a boost of colour to the classic Alfredo sauce. Fried sage leaves are added as they go so well with pumpkin.
How to make pumpkin alfredo
Just a few ingredients are used to make this easy sauce.
- Pumpkin Puree - Not just for sweet dishes, pumpkin puree goes well with the garlic and nutmeg of this sauce. I used tinned pumpkin puree for a quick sauce but you could make your own.
- Cream - heavy cream
- Parmesan - Preferable a vegetarian parmesan or try another vegetarian hard cheese.
- Butter - I prefer to use unsalted butter in sauces.
- Sage - You can't beat fresh sage and dried will not be the same flavour.
- Garlic - An essential ingredient in any Alfredo sauce!
- Nutmeg - Just a pinch of nutmeg to enhance the pumpkin flavour.
How to make keto vegan pumpkin alfredo
If you want to make this vegan than substitute the butter with olive oil, use nutritional yeast in place of the Parmesan and almond milk to replace the cream. If the sauce is not thick enough, add a ¼ teaspoon of xanthan gum.
What to serve with pumpkin alfredo
I served this pumpkin alfredo sauce with a packet of Palmini Linguine as they are a great low carb alternative to pasta that does not overpower the flavour of the sauce.
Other low carb vegetable noodles such as zucchini or cabbage would be great with this sauce too. Or serve over steamed or roasted vegetables. Try it with asparagus or broccoli too.
Fresh sage is essential. Powdered sage will not have the same flavour.
Roast chunks of pumpkin and then puree for a rich flavour.
Serve with chopped walnuts for a touch of crunch.
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup cream, heavy
- ½ cup parmesan (vegetarian)
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 3 garlic cloves peeled & finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 10 sage leaves
- In a small saucepan heat the butter on a medium heat.
- Add the sage leaves and cook until they are firm and crispy.
- Remove the sage leaves and set aside.
- Add the garlic to the saucepan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the pumpkin puree and cream.
- Simmer until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the Parmesan cheese, nutmeg and salt. Stir until the sauce is smooth.
- Stir in half of the sage leaves.
- Serve with low carb noodles.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.