A low carb vegetarian pumpkin and spinach lasagna that uses Palmini lasagna sheets for a delicious dinner. Low carb and gluten free too.
For the pumpkin layer we used our pumpkin alfredo sauce in place of a traditional bechamel sauce. This works as a cheese sauce for the vegetarian lasagna as well as giving the dish a pumpkin flavour.
What do Palmini lasagna sheets taste like?
Palmini lasagna sheets are made from hearts of palm and are a great low carb alternative to pasta. At 2g net carbs a serving they are also low in calories and fat. They do not have a strong taste and when baked are a good substitute for pasta.
We found the keto lasagna sheets great choice for a keto lasagna but there are a few alternative suggestions in the recipe notes below.
How to make pumpkin spinach lasagna
This is an easy pumpkin lasagna recipe that can be made ahead then baked later. Once you have your layers ready, it's assemble and bake.
- Mix the spinach and ricotta mixture together. Spread a layer of it in a baking dish.
- Layer the palmini lasagna sheets.
- Spoon the pumpkin alfredo sauce on top.
- Repeat the layers and bake until golden.
Can this vegetarian lasagna be frozen?
Happily, yes this pumpkin lasagna recipe freezes well. I have two portions sitting in my freezer as I type!
To freeze this or any leftovers, cut the lasagna into individual servings. This makes it easier to defrost. Place them in an air tight container or ziplock bag. Our trick with using a ziplock bag to remove the air is to place a straw in the bag to suck the air out.
The pumpkin spinach lasagna will last in the freezer for 3 months. To defrost, remove and place in the fridge. Once defrosted, bake in the oven at 350F for 15-20 minutes until warm through. Or zap it in the microwave.
In place of the Palmini lasagna noodles you could use strips of grilled zucchini or eggplant.
Use slices of cooked pumpkin with a regular alfredo sauce for a colourful and hearty lasagna.
The Palmini sheets are smaller than you might expect when you open up the packet. They might be great for a cannelloni recipe too.
More low carb vegetarian dinner recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Pumpkin Spinach Lasagna
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- In a medium bowl add the spinach, ricotta, and egg. Season with the salt and pepper and mix.
- Spoon half of the spinach mixture in the bottom of a baking dish. We used an 8 inch square dish.
- Lay the Palmini lasagna sheets on top of the spinach mixture.
- Spoon half of the pumpkin alfredo sauce on top.
- Repeat the layers and top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 35 minutes until golden on top.