An easy keto vegetarian lasagna made with zucchini noodles and a three cheese filling make a delicious and hearty dish with an irrestible creamy textures.
This vegetarian zucchini lasagna with no noodles has a blend of three cheeses is so delicious it will become a family favourite. The cheese layer is a blend of ricotta, cream cheese and mozzarella. Add a low carb marinara sauce and every bite is a delicious blend of vegetable and cheese.
HOW TO AVOID SOGGY ZUCCHINI NOODLES
I grill the zucchini slices before making the lasagne to make sure that they are not watery. It is a personal preference, but I find when you are using vegetables as a pasta sheet replacement you get a firmer result if you grill them first. I do this with both zucchini and eggplant. It helps with the water content and having to salt them, wait and then use the vegetables.
HOW TO MAKE LOWCARB ZUCCHINI LASAGNA
A low carb zucchini lasagna is easy to assemble. Slice the zucchini, grill it, mix the cheese filling, layer the zucchini, cheese and low carb marinara.
ZUCCHINI LASAGNA TIPS
- You could use a mix of other cheeses as a strong cheddar, gouda or vegetarian Parmesan.
- For a very hearty dish, add cooked mushrooms or spinach as an additional layer.
- This can be assembled ahead and kept in the fridge before baking.
OTHER ZUCCHINI RECIPES TO ENJOY
Vegetarian Zucchini Lasagna
- 4 zucchini
- 1 cup Marinara sauce low carb
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoon oregano dried
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Slice the zucchini length ways. Don’t slice them too thin as they will reduce in size once cooked due to their water content. About ½ cm or more in width will be fine.
- Place the zucchini slices on a silver foil lined baking tray, lightly brush them with olive oil and place under a hot grill. Cook until golden and flip over, brush with oil and grill the other side.
- Remove, pat dry the slices with kitchen towel to remove any excess water or oil and sprinkle with the chopped garlic and oregano. Season with the salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, mix the cream cheese and ricotta in a bowl and season with the salt and pepper.
- In a baking dish assemble the lasagne by layering the zucchini, cheese mixture and Marinara sauce.
- Repeat the layers until the dish is full. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top.
- Cover the dish with aluminium foil and bake for 30 – 40 minutes. Take the foil off for the last 10 minutes of cooking to ensure a crispy topping.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.