This keto pumpkin gnocchi recipe is an easy recipe made with pumpkin, lupin flour, oat fiber and seasonings. It goes with many sauces and is a great low carb dinner.
A low carb vegan pumpkin dish that is also gluten free and sugar free. Making this is so easy that it will become a weekly feature on your menu! With just 3 ingredients plus seasonings it's simple and tasty.
The vegan keto pumpkin gnocchi is cooked in the air fryer but could be baked or pan fried. The air fryer gives this pumpkin gnocchi a slight crunch golden coating.
Carbs in Gnocchi
Traditional gnocchi is made with potato, semolina and flour which are all off limits on a low carb diet. A small serving of traditional gnocchi can have 36g net carbs per serving. That's without the sauce.
If you are missing gnocchi, then this homemade gnocchi recipe with pumpkin without potato should fill the void! Or try our keto cauliflower gnocchi recipe too!
When you read the recipe card and blink at the carbs figure, remember that this is the total carbs. Once you subtract the fiber, the net carbs is just 6g net carbs per serving. The nutritional breakdown per serving is in the table below.
How to make keto pumpkin gnocchi
This is an easy recipe with the most time consuming thing being making the small gnocchi balls.
For the pumpkin, we used pumpkin puree. Not from a can but simply cooked mashed pumpkin. Do not use pumpkin pie puree. Keep that for desserts!
Once cool, the seasonings and low carb flour are used to make a pliable dough. Roll the dough into a roll and cut the gnocchi or make them individually. The fork pattern is entirely up to you.
To cook the pumpkin gnocchi we made this colourful dumplings in the air fryer. It's quick and easy and less oily than pan frying. Baking is just as good but will take a bit longer.
What low carb flour can you use for this keto gnocchi recipe?
For this gnocchi recipe we have used lupin flour and oat fiber. The lupin flour was used as it's a great keto vegetarian option as it's low in carbs and high in protein. The oat fiber helps bind the dough without being too overpowering.
We had tried this pumpkin recipe with just oat fiber but there was something lacking in taste. We will not be repeating that experiment.
Other low carb flours such as almond flour could be substituted for the lupin flour. Coconut flour may be a bit crumbly but a couple of tablespoons to an almond flour mixture could work.
Ground flaxseed by itself is not recommended but a couple of tablespoons with other low carb flours should work.
Can you freeze pumpkin gnocchi
These homemade pumpkin gnocchi freeze great. They can be frozen freshly made or cooked leftovers. We have frozen both successfully. Store the gnocchi in a zip lock bag and they should last up to 3 months in the freezer. Defrost them at room temperature then either cook them in the air fryer or reheat them.
Pumpkin Gnocchi Sauce Ideas
These low carb gnocchi can be served in a simple sauce or rich sauce. Their versatility means that they go with anything! Here are a few sauce ideas.
- Sage butter - a simple and quick sauce. Cook garlic in butter, add fresh sage leaves and pour over the gnocchi when the butter has turned golden or brown.
- Vodka sauce - A creamy rich tomato sauce that is easy to make.
- Marinara sauce - The rich tomato sauce goes great with the pumpkin.
- Alfredo - our pumpkin alfredo may be pumpkin overload but try a simple Alfredo.
- Pesto - Stir a tablespoon or two of cream cheese into pesto for an extra creamy sauce. Or just serve the pesto by itself.
- Tomato Mascarpone Sauce - Easy and delicious.
Do not boil. They turn into mush and do not taste nice.
Seasoning these gnocchi is essential. Without they can be bland. Don't be shy with the garlic and onion powder. Throw in more dried herbs to your taste.
Make them ahead and keep them in the fridge ready to cook. Store them in an air tight container and they should last up to 5 days in the fridge.
Add nutritional yeast to the dough for an extra flavour.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Keto Pumpkin Gnocchi
Make the Gnocchi
- In a medium bowl add the pumpkin puree, seasoning and lupin flour.
- Mix into a sticky dough.
- Add the oat fiber and work into a pliable and soft dough.
- Roll the dough into a log shape and cut into small pieces.
- OR you could fashion the small gnocchi pieces individually. Pull off a small amount of the dough and roll into a piece with your hand.
- OPTIONAL: Use a fork to press down on a side of the gnocchi for decorative gnocchi.
- Preheat the air fryer as per the manufacturers instructions.
- Place the pumpkin gnocchi in the air fryer tray and lightly spray with olive oil.
- Cook at 190C/375F degrees for 8-10 minutes until golden.
- OR lightly pan fry the gnocchi for 8-10 minutes until golden.
- OR bake in the oven at 190C/375F degrees for 15-20 minutes until golden.
YOUR OWN NOTES