These keto vegetarian pigs in a blanket are a great appetizer or snack and are easy to make too. Enjoy them served hot or cold.
Made with Fathead dough, you could use any vegetarian cocktail sausages for a dainty pigs in a blanket. I used Morning Star Sausage Links as they are low in carbs and were the right size for me.
For a bigger pigs in a blanket, which may border on a vegetarian sausage roll, use a larger vegetarian sausage. It all depends upon what vegetarian sausages you can purchase. I have a limited selection where I live, so let out squeals of joy when I saw the Morning Star Sausage Links in the freezer section.
How to Make Keto Vegetarian Pigs in a Blanket
Fathead dough is a great low carb pastry and is made with melted mozzarella and cream cheese. Almond flour and an egg is added to make the dough. I use baking powder for when I want the Fathead dough to rise. If you omit it you will still have a delicious vegetarian pigs in a blanket.
Coconut flour can be used in place of the almond flour but reduce the quantity to 2 tablespoons.
When using Fathead dough, make sure the ingredients are thoroughly worked in. Use your hands to work the dough evenly. Oiled hands stop it the mixture becoming too sticker too.
More Low Carb Vegetarian Appetizer to Enjoy
Keto Vegetarian Pigs in a Blanket
- 1 cup mozzarella, grated
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 10 Morning Star Sausage Links or any vegetarian sausage
- 1 egg, beaten for the egg wash
Make the Dough
- Place the mozzarella and cream cheese in a bowl and cook in the microwave for 60 seconds. Give the mixture a quick stir and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Stir well, and add the egg, almond flour, baking powder and garlic powder.
- Mix until you have a dough mixture. Ensure that the dough is even in colour and there are no streaks of white.
- Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm before rolling it out.
Make the Filling
- Grill the sausages, turning over until they are an even colour for about 4-7 minutes or cook them in a frying pan.
- Roll out the Fathead dough in between two layers of parchment paper. Try to keep the shape an even square.
- With a sharp knife cut out a large rectangle that would cover one of the sausage links. Place the sausage on the cut dough and roll until the sausage is evenly covered. Cut in half and place on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Repeat for all the sausage links
- Brush the pigs in a blanket with the egg wash
- Bake for 20 minutes at 190C/370F degrees until the dough is golden and firm.
Any vegetarian sausages can be used for this recipe. Check the carb content before using though.
The net carbs will be the total carb count minus the fibre count. Carb count excludes sugar alcohols.Any nutritional analysis on the website is based on an estimate, calculated by http://nutritiondata.self.com from the individual ingredients in each recipe. Variations may occur for various reasons, including product availability and food preparation. We make no representation or warranty of the accuracy of this information.