A bowl of this easy creamy keto coleslaw is a must for any summer BBQ. A quick and easy low carb salad that is the perfect side dish.
How to make low carb keto coleslaw
The key to a great coleslaw recipe is 2 simple things:
- Fresh ingredients. The cabbage, carrot and green onions used in this recipe must be fresh and crisp. If you are using a pre-shredded coleslaw mix check the date on the bag and that the cut cabbage is not limp or brown in colour at the edges.
- A creamy dressing full of flavour. The dressing needs to be thick and creamy as it will water down as the cabbage wilts and releases water. This helps for the coleslaw to taste better the next day.
Keto coleslaw ingredients
Green cabbage - A staple of any coleslaw recipe. Make sure it is fresh and firm.
Red cabbage - Adds an additional colour and vibrance to the coleslaw
Carrot - Although not a low carb vegetable, only a small amounts it used.
Green onions - Optional but I enjoy the extra bite of flavour that the green onions give.
Or alternatively buy a bag of ready made coleslaw mixture.
Keto coleslaw dressing
The dressing is a creamy delight with:
Mayonnaise - home made keto mayonnaise is always best as it does not have any sugar in it.
Sour cream - a keto fridge staple in our house!
Apple cider vinegar - Adds tang and sharpness to the dressing
Dijon mustard - try to use Dijon as it's a better mustard than yellow mustard.
Celery salt - If you can't find this use pink salt
Black pepper - freshly ground is my favourite.
More keto salad recipes
Easy Creamy Keto Coleslaw
- ½ green cabbage shredded
- ¼ red cabbage shredded
- 1 small carrot peeled & grated
- 3 green onions finely chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 ½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Mix the dressing ingredients together.
- Place the cabbage, shredded carrot and chopped green onion in a large bowl.
- Pour over the dressing and toss well.
- Place in the fridge for at least 20 minutes for the flavours to develop.
- Toss well before serving.