If you are bored of brussel sprouts, try them in this nutritious brussels sprouts curry. This flavorful curry recipe brings out the best in this vegetable and is a keto vegan, gluten-free and a low calorie curry recipe.
Brussels sprouts are an under appreciated vegetable, perhaps because it is prepared and eaten too often as boiled sprouts. But in a curry, the vegetable goes from being an under performer and turns into a star dish.
Brussels sprouts have a bitter taste that's off-putting to some people. But, once cooked just right, they can be delicious.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Are Brussels Sprouts Keto Friendly?
Brussel sprouts are a great low carb vegetable with a 100g serving have just 5g net carbohydrates. As well as being low in carbs, brussels sprouts are high in fiber, rich in vitamin K and antioxidants.
Can You Put Brussel Sprouts in Curry?
Brussel sprouts make a surprising companion to a curry as the slightly sharp taste softens with the curry spices. A coconut or slightly sweet curry with fennel or cardamon goes best with the sprouts as you want the curry sauce not to be too harsh.
I'm not usually a fan of ready made curry powder but for this curry it works as it's a Caribbean curry powder that is made with warm spices and features all spice, that's often not in an Indian curry mix.
How to Make Brussels Sprouts Curry
This is a quick and easy low carb vegan curry made in under 30 minutes. You don't want the brussel sprouts to become too soggy.
Cook the onion, garlic, chili and add cumin seeds.
Add the curry spices.
Add the brussels, tomatoes and coconut milk.
Simmer until the brussels are cooked.
This curry can be made ahead to let the spices develop or any leftovers can be stored in the fridge. Keep the curry in the refrigerator in an airtight container and it should last up to 5 days.
What to Serve with Brussels Sprouts Curry
A bowl of this spicy curry is great by itself, but for a heartier meal serve this with our garlic naan bread and a side of cauliflower rice.
More Keto Vegan Recipes
Brussels Sprouts Curry
- 1 lb brussel sprouts
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 inch ginger, fresh grated
- 1 green chili deseeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 400 ml coconut milk tin
- 14 oz tomatoes tinned
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- Remove the outer leaves from the brussel sprouts and slice them into quarters.
- In a large saucepan, add the coconut oil on a medium-high heat and cook the chopped onion for 8-10 minutes until soft.
- Add the minced garlic, grated ginger and chopped green chili and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the cumin seeds and cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- Add the spices, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the quartered brussels, stir to coat them in the curry mixture and cook for 5 minutes. If the mixture becomes too dry, add a tablespoon of the coconut milk
- Pour the tin tomatoes and coconut milk to the pan and break up the tomatoes. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the brussels are soft (but not soggy).
- Serve with cauliflower rice or low carb naan bread.
YOUR OWN NOTES