These easy low carb bread rolls are just like the real thing. An easy recipe with only 2.8g net carbs per roll they are a great dinner roll.
Soft keto bread rolls are also gluten free and can be served with soup, salad or used for sliders. If you are missing bread as part of a keto diet, these hearty and high fibre low carb rolls are a great replacement.
A simple recipe to make, it is the psyllium husk powder that helps the bread rolls appear like a gluten and non carb roll. It’s a great low carb replacement for gluten but can vary in result by brand. Some brands of psyllium husk powder can give a purple hue to your bread, but this does not affect the flavour.
These keto bread rolls are very filling too so you will only need one or two to keep you full and satisfied. The ground flaxseed and psyllium husk powder are high in fibre as well as great low carb ingredients. I made them into small mini sub rolls and got 8. As they are very filling, it’s easier to maintain portion control with a small roll.
INGREDIENTS FOR LOW CARB BREAD ROLLS
- Coconut oil: I use virgin coconut oil but you could substitute this with olive oil.
- Almond flour: You can purchase finely ground almond flour or make your own with almond nuts. Making your own can be cheaper but it can take a while.
- Psyllium Husk Powder: You can purchase this from a pharmacy or a health food store. Failing that, Amazon is your friend. Brands vary and some may give a purple colour.
- Ground Flaxseed (also known as linseed): You can purchase this ready ground or process the seeds through a coffee grinder or Nutribullet. The colour will make a different to the bread rolls. Try golden or brown. There is a slight taste between the two and I prefer the golden, but that’s just a personal taste. The brown is a more heartier wholemeal taste.
- Apple cider vinegar: ACV helps giver the bread rolls an extra lift in the absence of gluten.
- Baking powder: Along with the ACV it helps the bread rolls rise a little.
HOW TO STORE LOW CARB BREAD ROLLS
Serve these low carb bread rolls fresh from the oven with a pat of butter or cool as a small slider. To store these rolls, keep them in an airtight container in the fridge and consume within 5 days. Remember that they are nor store bought bread rolls and will have a shorter “shelf life”.
WANT MORE LOW CARB KETO BREAD RECIPES?
Here's How I Made Them!
Easy Low Carb Bread Rolls
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed golden or brown
- 4 tablespoons psyllium husk powder
- 5 medium eggs separated
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- In a bowl add the almond flour, ground flaxseed, psyllium husk powder, baking powder, salt and seasonings. Mix well.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Add the egg yolks to the almond flour mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Add the coconut oil and mix well. Then stir in the apple cider vinegar.
- Add the boiling water and gently mix. If the mixture looks a bit too soft, let it sit for at least 10 minutes to firm up.
- Gently fold in the egg whites.
- Split the mixture into 8 portions. Take one section. Using your hands, make it into a small bread roll shape.
- Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, and repeat for the rest of the dough.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until firm and golden.
Any nutritional analysis on the website is based on an estimate, calculated by http://nutritiondata.self.com from the individual ingredients in each recipe. Variations may occur for various reasons, including product availability and food preparation. We make no representation or warranty of the accuracy of this information.