These light low carb lemon cupcakes are topped with a creamy blackberry cream cheese frosting. A delicious flavour combination of a sweet topping with a sharp lemon cupcake.
Baked with coconut flour these coconut cupcakes not only look pretty with contrast of the blackberry cream cheese topping against the lemon cupcake, they taste delicious. The texture of the cupcakes is almost like the real thing, and you will find even your non low carb friends reaching for another.
Are Blackberries Keto?
Blackberries can be enjoyed on a keto and low carb diet due to their high fibre content. In small amounts, like most berries, they are a great low carb fruit. When you need your fruit fix on a low carb diet, reach for a berry!
How to Make Keto Lemon Blackberry Cupcakes
Coconut flour is used with these keto lemon cupcakes as it’s one of our favourite low carb flours. It is highly absorbent and take happily take a lot of moisture. If the cupcake batter looks too thick add more water or perhaps a tablespoon of coconut milk. It should be a smooth consistency.
Whilst the cupcakes are baking, make the blackberry cream cheese topping and place it in the fridge so it can firm up a bit to make it easier to pipe. If you don’t care about the piping, simply slather the topping over the lemon cupcake, pop a blackberry on top and you are done!
More low carb cupcakes to bake
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Keto Lemon Cupcakes & Blackberry Cream Cheese Topping
- 3 oz cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup blackberries
- 2 tablespoons cream, heavy or whipping
- 2 tablespoons erythritol powdered
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Whisk the butter and erythritol together until creamy
- Add the eggs, one at a time
- Add the lemon juice and water. Keep whisking until smooth
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet and mix well. If the batter seems too thick add more water. It should resemble cake/pancake batter.
- Place the batter into cupcake cases ¾ of the way up and bake for 20-25 minutes until the tops spring back lightly when touched.
- Remove and cool in the pan.
Make the Frosting
- Blend the topping ingredients until smooth. I used a hand blender but feel free to do an upper arm workout and try it with a spoon or fork!
- Slather the frosting over the cupcakes and decorate with blackberry