Low carb pumpkin bars baked with coconut flour and topped with a cream cheese frosting are a delicious cake. A low carb and gluten free cake that will have you reaching for another.
This pumpkin bar recipe yields such a moist sponge you would never guess that you are eating a healthier alternative. The pumpkin spices give the sponge a delicious warmth and the pumpkin an additional sweetness.
The cream cheese topping is optional but highly recommended as it goes so well with the pumpkin bar sponge. If you enjoy carrot cake with a creamy cheese topping, then this is a healthier must for you. Cream cheese and pumpkin are a great flavour couple, it would be a shame to separate them!
Pumpkin Slices with Cream Cheese Topping
- ½ Cup Coconut Flour
- ½ Cup Butter, unsalted Melted
- ½ Cup Xylitol/Low carb sweetener
- ½ Cup Pumpkin puree
- 5 Eggs
- ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pumpkin spice
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 6 oz Cream cheese softened
- 3 oz Butter, unsalted softened
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Xylitol/Low carb sweetener
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Blend together the butter, eggs, xylitol and vanilla.
- Add the pumpkin puree, coconut flour, baking powder, pumpkin spice and salt. Whisk until there are no lumps and it is a smooth batter.
- Pour into a parchment paper lined baking tin. I use a 8 inch square tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes and allow to cool.
- Blend the topping ingredients until smooth. I used a hand blender but feel free to do an upper arm workout and try it with a fork/spoon!
- Slather the topping over the cake.
- Cut into 8 slices or smaller squares.