A broccoli cheddar crescent ring makes a hearty keto vegetarian meal. Broccoli and cheese fill a Fathead dough ring and served sliced.
This savoury ring is delicious served warm and equally enjoyable cold too. You can serve it as a main lunch or slice it for a gathering as an appetizer.
Traditionally, a crescent ring is made with crescent roll prepared dough but I've used Fathead dough for a low carb option.
How to make a keto broccoli cheddar crescent ring
The fathead dough is made by processing all the ingredients in a food processor. This saves having to melt the cheese in a microwave that many fathead recipes require. I also find that it yields a better dough for a pastry substitute.
The dough is rolled out into a circle and then cut so it can be folded over the filling. You could be creative and use strips leaving gaps over the filling but I was a bit scared the filling would ooze out. Having baked this a couple of times I think you would be safe.
The low carb dough could be used to make pies with this filling too. I've tried it with mini quiche cases and the result was a delicious broccoli cheese pie.
If you don’t’ want the ring shape for this spinach mushroom recipe, why not roll out the dough into a long rectangle and make a plait with it? Put the filling in the middle, cut the edges into strips and bring them over together to seal in the filing.
Broccoli and Cheddar cheese are a great pairing but try other cheese with this filling. Perhaps goats cheese or stilton would be a tasty dish.
More low carb vegetarian main meals
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Broccoli Cheddar Crescent Ring
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 oz cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 oz cream cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups mozzarella shredded
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 medium egg
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 medium egg beaten
Make the filling
- Steam or boil the broccoli florets until tender. Chop finely and cool for 15 minutes.
- Place the broccoli in a large bowl and add the cheddar cheese, cream cheese, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix until combined. I found mashing my mixture with a fork worked well.
Make the dough
- Place all the dough ingredients into a food processor and blitz until you have a smooth mixture. The dough will be a bit sticky.
- With damp hands remove the dough from the processor and roll out into a circle in between two layers of parchment paper.
- Place the dough on a sheet of parchment paper. Place another sheet on top and roll out into a large circle, about 5 mm thick.
- Mark a circle in the middle of the dough and with a sharp knife, cut 4 lines into the center of this circle. You want to make a star of triangles that you can pull back towards the filling.
- Spread the broccoli cheddar mixture on the dough in the centre around the ring. Don’t put it to the edge, as the edges need to be rolled up.
- Cut the outside edge of the ring into strips about an inch wide. These are going to be pulled over the filling.
- Bring one point of the centre triangles over the filling as well as bringing the outer edge of the dough inwards. Press the two together and continue until you have a ring.
- Brush with the egg wash.
- Place on a baking tray and bake at 190C/385F for 25 minutes until golden.
- Remove from the oven and serve whilst still warm.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Leave a Reply