This low carb mushroom galette is made with a rich gluten free pastry for a rustic looking tart that makes a great vegetarian lunch or dinner.
Try this mushroom galette in place of a low carb quiche or pizza for a tasty savoury dish. Serve as a main or lunch, this is a great recipe enjoyed warm or cold.
What is a galette?
A galette is a rustic style open pie with the pastry sides pushed up over the filling and baked on a tray. The filling for a galette is normally fruit but try a savory galette for a vegetarian main dish.
How to make a low carb galette
What you need
- Almond & Coconut Flour - I like the combination of these two low carb flours for a savoury pastry.
- Xanthan gum - This can be substituted as per the tips below.
- Butter - Grass fed if possible
- Cream cheese - The secret ingredient to a great low carb pastry.
- Egg - Helps with the rich pastry flavour.
- Mushrooms - Any mushroom can be used.
- Onion & garlic - Add a great savoury flavour
- Blue cheese - A strong cheese to enhance the mushrooms but you could use another cheese.
- Thyme - A touch of thyme brings out the mushroom flavour
Recipe Tips & Suggestions
If you don’t have xanthan gum, this can be replaced with ground flaxseed. Use one teaspoon of ground flaxseed mixed with two teaspoons of water to make a gel. This will help bind the pastry.
Use a different range of mushrooms where available for extra taste, texture and appearance.
Make smaller individual galettes by halving the dough. A quarter may be a bit small.
Serve with these sides
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 1 medium onion finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon thyme dried
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 oz blue cheese
- 1 small egg beaten
Make the Pastry
- Place the almond flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum, butter, cream cheese, egg and salt in a food processor. Blend until the mixture becomes a soft dough.
- Remove the mixture from the processor and make into a large ball. Wrap it in a piece of parchment paper and place in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
Make the Filling
- Heat half the butter (2 tablespoons) in a large saucepan on a medium heat.
- Saute the onion slices and cook until soft and golden.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Slice the mushrooms.
- Heat the remaining butter in the pan and cook the garlic and mushrooms until the mushrooms are brown.
- Season with the thyme, salt and pepper.
- Remove from the pan and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees
- Remove the dough from the fridge.
- Roll out the dough in between two layers of parchment paper in a rough circular shape. The dough should be between ½ to 1 cm thick.
- Spoon the mushroom mixture over the dough leaving a 1-2 inch border around the edges.
- Crumble the blue cheese over the mushroom filling.
- Gently bring up the edges of the pastry circles over the mushrooms so it holds them in and almost forms a rough crust.
- Place the galette on a parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Brush the pastry edges with the egg wash.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden.