This keto star fruit galette is a vibrant and delicious dessert made with a low carb and gluten-free pastry. A pretty looking dessert for any occasion.
The cooked star fruit has a slight pineapple taste which goes well with the rich buttery pastry. Serve with whipped cream or coconut cream for a low carb tropical dessert.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
IS STAR FRUIT KETO FRIENDLY?
Star fruit is actually lower in carbs than blueberries per 100g serving. It's a tropical fruit with just 4g net carbohydrates per 100g serving.
Also known as Carambola, star fruit is a great low carb fruit and makes a change from berries. It has a high fiber content and is great for potassium and vitamin C too.
STAR FRUIT CAUTION
A word of caution for those of you with kidney issues. Star fruit has a very high oxalate content which is not good for the kidneys.
This fruit is also extremely toxic for dogs.
WHAT IS A GALETTE?
A galette is traditionally a flat pastry dish made with flaky pastry. It resembles a rustic open tart with the pastry surrounding the sweet filling. For this recipe we have used a low carb pastry recipe.
A savory filling can also be used in a galette. Try our mushroom galette recipe for a tasty lunch or dinner with thyme seasoned mushrooms in a butter pastry.
You could add additional spices such as nutmeg or allspice to the star fruit slices or vanilla extract too. Lemon juice or lime juice could be used too as we do with our star fruit upside down cake.
THE LOW CARB SWEETENER
We have used allulose for the low carb sweetener as it does not crystalize when cool as some brands of erythritol can do. However, feel free to use the low carb sweetener of your choice as they should all work well.
HOW TO MAKE A KETO GALETTE
This low carb galette could be made with a Fathead dough pastry made with mozzarella and cream cheese but for this recipe we used a rich pastry made with almond flour, coconut flour, butter and cream cheese.
This pastry recipe could also be used to make a pie crust in other low carb baking.
Make the dough in a food processor
Slice and season the star fruit in cinnamon butter
Roll out pastry and place star fruit slices in the centre
Fold up the pastry edges and brush with an egg wash
This can be kept in the refrigerator if you are making this ahead to reheat or if you have any leftovers. Store it in a sealed container and it should last up to 3 days.
Instead of making one large galette, cut the pastry into four pieces and make smaller individual fruit galettes.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
We find that using a small amount of xanthan gum in low carb pastry helps with the elasticity in the absence of gluten. You could try the recipe without it or substitute it with psyllium husk powder.
This freezes well once cold. Wrap it up in clingfilm or silver foil and it will last in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge before serving. You could reheat it in the microwave or oven.
The larger the circle, the thinner the pastry will be. Roll it out between 8 to 10 inches. Remember that the edges are going to be folded over the filling so the galette will be smaller than the large circle you roll out.
MORE LOW CARB DESSERTS
Keto Star Fruit Galette
- 4 oz almond flour
- 2 oz coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3 oz butter cold, cut into chunks
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons allulose or other low carb sweetener
- 1 large egg room temperature
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large star fruit
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon allulose or other low carb sweetener
- 1 medium egg beaten
Make the Pastry
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees, and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place all the pastry ingredients in a food processor and blitz until you have a combined dough.
- Remove the pastry from the food processor and form into a ball. Set aside in the refrigerator whilst you prepare the filling.
Make the Filling
- Thinly slice the star fruit to about 1 cm in width.
- In a small bowl, melt the butter in the microwave for 30 seconds and add the allulose and cinnamon.
- Place the sliced star fruit slices into the melted butter mixture and stir until they are all covered in the cinnamon butter.
- Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper and roll into a circle using a rolling pin, about 7-8 inches wider, using another layer of parchment paper on top. If the dough is a bit sticky, dust it with coconut flour.
- Arrange the star fruit slice in the center of the dough leaving a large edge around the fruit (about an inch).
- Gently fold the edges of the pastry over the circle of the star fruit, folding the dough over to create a “crust”. We use the edges of the parchment paper to do this.
- Brush the pastry edges with the beaten egg and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden. If you make smaller individual galettes the cooking time may be reduced.
- Serve with whipped cream or keto ice cream.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Leave a Reply