A keto strawberry pie that is vegan! This pie has an almond flour and coconut oil crust filled with with strawberries and a vegan jelly. What would summer be without strawberry pie?
The crust is delicious and tastes great with the sweet strawberries in a keto vegan friendly jello mixture. You don't have to be on a low carb diet to enjoy this summer dessert. Or vegan either!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
CAN YOU EAT STRAWBERRIES ON KETO?
Strawberries are a great low carb fruit with a 100 gram serving being just over 5g net carbs. A single medium strawberry can be 0.6 grams each. As with all berries and low carb fruit, portion control is key.
Strawberries are low in calories, high in fiber and a great source of vitamin C and antioxidants.
Enjoy a simple low carb strawberry dessert and serve them with a bowl of cream.
WHAT INGREDIENTS YOU NEED
We have made this keto strawberry pie vegan by using a flax egg and coconut oil to bind the almond flour.
Many strawberry pies use jelly as a filling but since that contains gelatin is not suitable for either vegans or vegetarians. We have used Agar Agar as a gelling agent.
For the sweetener we used allulose as it dissolves well in water. Any other low carb sweetener such as monk fruit or erythritol can be used.
WHAT IS AGAR AGAR?
Agar agar is a keto-friendly plant based jelling agent produced from red algae and is available in powdered or flake form. It's used similar to gelatin in that it needs to be dissolved in hot liquid and will set. It might have less jiggle than jelly but is animal free.
HOW TO MAKE A FLAX EGG
This crust is vegan and to bind the flour together without an egg or butter we have used coconut oil and a flax egg. To make a flax egg, a tablespoon or two of ground flaxseed is dissolved in a couple of tablespoons of water and let sit for at least 5 minutes to firm up.
HOW TO MAKE KETO STRAWBERRY PIE
This is an easy recipe to make but needs to be made at least 4 hours before serving so that the filling can set. The crust needs to be made first and as it's cooling you make the strawberry filling.
HOW TO MAKE THE VEGAN PIE CRUST
Place all ingredients in a food processor
Blend until mixed
Press the pastry into a pie dish, keeping it firm.
Bake for 15 minutes until the edges are golden.
MAKE THE STRAWBERRY FILLING
Fresh strawberries make a great pie filling and the agar agar sets great with no taste, allowing the fruit to be the star of the pie.
Place half the strawberries into a blender and blitz until smooth
Make the Agar Agar as per the packet instructions.
Add the strawberry puree to the agar mixture and whisk.
Place half the strawberries into the pie case and pour the strawberry jelly over them.
This low carb vegan pie does not have to be made with strawberries. The pie crust recipe can be used for any other low carb dessert too. Try a few variations for the filling using the agar agar as a setting agent:
- Blueberries or blackberries.
- Lemon or lime juice
- Sliced star fruit
Keep this strawberry pie in the fridge, covered with cling film and it should last up to 3 days. Maybe 4 days but ours have never lasted longer than that. (The husband loves his desserts!)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Coconut flour could be substituted for the almond flour for a keto pie crust but the volume should be reduced to about ¾ cup. We would advise adding water too until you have a pliable dough.
Large supermarkets may stock this, or health food shops.
Before pouring the strawberry mixture into the pie crust, test it by taking a spoonful of the mixture and allow it to rapidly set on a cool surface. If the mixture does not set for a few minutes, add more agar agar power or flakes and simmer for a few more minutes.
MORE KETO DESSERT RECIPES
Keto Strawberry Pie - Vegan
- 3 cups strawberries
- 3 tablespoons agar agar powder or flakes
- 3 tablespoons allulose or other low carb sweetener
- 1 ¼ cups water
Make the Pie Crust
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees. Lightly oil a 7 inch pie dish (you could use a 8 inch dish)
- Place all the pie ingredients into a food processor and pulse until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the pie dish and press down to form a crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the edges are golden and slightly firm.
- Set aside to cool whilst you make the filling.
- Slice the tops off the strawberries and place half into a food blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour the water into a small saucepan and sprinkle the agar agar on top. Bring to the boil then simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until it has dissolved.
- Add the strawberry puree into the mixture and stir until combined.
- Place the remaining half of the strawberries into the pie crust. Either whole, halved or sliced.
- Pour the strawberry jelly mixture over the strawberries in the pie crust and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours to set.
- Serve with whipped coconut cream.
YOUR OWN NOTES