A star fruit dessert recipe in a low carb crumble with blueberries. A buttery coconut flour crumble topping sits on top of sweet star fruit and blueberries.
Star fruit is available from June to February and is also known as carambola. The shape of this fruit has 5 points that look likes a star when sliced.
What Does Star Fruit Taste Like?
Star fruit is slightly sweet with a slight tartness. When the star fruit is ripe and yellow, the tartness lessons. If you find green star fruit, allow it to ripen before using in a star fruit recipe.
Is Star Fruit Keto?
Star fruit is a great low carb fruit with only 4g net carbs per 100g serving. It makes a great snack, dessert or slice it into a salad.
Star Fruit Recipe Caution
However, a word of caution for those of you with kidney issues. Star fruit has a high oxalate content, and this is not good for the kidneys. They are also extremely toxic to dogs too.
How to make a low carb crumble
Making a crumble low carb is an easy ingredient swap. Using low carb flours and sweetener you can enjoy a bowl of comfort food.
The ingredients for this start fruit dessert
- Star fruit - Use ripe yellow star fruit
- Blueberries - These can be omitted or swapped with other berries.
- Brown Monkfruit sweetener - I like the taste of a golden low carb sweetener for a crumble but any other sweetener can be used.
- Butter - Unsalted
- Coconut Flour - Almond flour can be used instead.
- Oat Fiber - I used this in place of a regular flour to bulk out the crumble topping but this can be omitted or swapped with another low carb flour.
- Cinnamon & Nutmeg - Great spices to go with star fruit and a crumble favourite for us.
More star fruit recipes to try
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Star Fruit Crumble
- 6 star fruits ripe and yellow
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup brown monkfruit
Prepare the Starfruit
- Thinly cut the starfruit to 8 slices. Gently remove the seeds from the fruit with a knife or spoon.
- Blanch the starfruit in a saucepan of simmering water for 10 minutes
- Remove, drain and toss in the monkfruit, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Make the Topping
- In a medium bowl, placethe crumble ingredients and gently blend using your fingers into a crumbletexture.
Assemble the Crumble
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees
- Place the star fruits in the bottom of a baking dish. I used an 8 inch squared dish. Scatter the blueberries over the star fruits.
- Spoon the crumble mixture over the fruits.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the top is golden.
- Serve with whipped cream or low carb vanilla ice cream
YOUR OWN NOTES