Star fruits make decorative muffin toppings in this low carb star fruit recipe. These light and warm spiced muffins are baked with coconut flour making them gluten free too.
What are star fruits?
Star fruits are also known as five finger fruit or carambola. They are a firm yet juicy tropical fruit that when cut into slices looks like a star. The whole fruit is edible and has a sweet and slightly tart taste. You can enjoy ½ cup at only 2.6g net carbs.
They range in colour from green to yellow, with yellow being the ripest and sweetest. Lower in calories than other tropical fruit star fruit are a great source of vitamin C, fibre and have great anti-inflammatory properties.
How do you eat star fruit?
Apart from enjoying star fruit in this muffin recipe, star fruit can be enjoyed slices, in a fruit salad, made into a jam, relish or a juice.
Star Fruit Warning
However, a word of caution for those of you with kidney issues. Star fruit has a high oxalate content, and this is not good for the kidneys. They are also extremely toxic to dogs too.
Recipe Tips & Suggestions
Coconut flour brands can vary in density so you may want to add additional liquid if the muffin batter is too thick. Add a couple of tablespoons of either coconut milk, almond milk or water.
Try adding unsweetened cocoa powder to these muffins too. The warm spices go well with the cocoa and the star fruit.
More star fruit recipes to try
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Star Fruit Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F degrees. Lightly grease 8 muffin cups or line them with paper liners.
- Thinly cut the starfruit to 8 slices. Gently remove the seeds from the fruit with a knife or spoon.
- In a bowl, whisk the butter and monk fruit sweetener together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and continue to whisk.
- Add the coconut flour, coconut milk, baking powder, nutmeg, salt and cinnamon and whisk until the mixture is smooth. If the batter is too thick add additional coconut milk.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pans.
- Place a star fruit slice on the top of the muffin mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the muffins are firm.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for five minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.